Monday, January 28, 2013

A few answers.


So, are you feeling better?
This is a very kind question that I get a lot. I feel sort of snarky when I try to answer it, though. The truth is, I don't have the same intensity of nausea that I had throughout all of first trimester and most of second trimester (that's right...I never experienced that I-feel-awesome-and-have-tons-of-energy phase that lots of women experience during second trimester), but I still deal with persistent nausea every day. I've been on my nausea medication every day of being pregnant. I'm very ready for that to be over. So, I can't really answer the inquiries with a, "I feel great." Because I don't.

Currently, I'm dealing with the nausea (although it is significantly less than it used to be) and headaches. The past few weeks have introduced a lot of joint pain and charlie horses (even though I've upped my potassium and drink over a gallon of water on any given day). I'm also back to being extremely exhausted/sleepy all the time. Sort of like first trimester. It's a bit ridiculous how tired I am. Although, sleeping at night is not happening all that often.

What's your due date?
March 10. Although, the second ultrasound we had indicated that she looked more like a March 15 due date. I'm really hoping for a little bit earlier than that so that she ends up coming while Brad is on Spring Break. How great would that be??

Have you been craving anything?
I haven't been craving things in the sense that I get in "must have NOW" mode; it's more like I've had preferences for some things. For example, until my acid reflux kicked in, I was wanting orange juice every morning. I didn't have to have it, but I wanted some. I think the closest I got to a real craving was on our trek back to New England. We stopped at a Chick-Fil-A in Maryland, and I really wanted an Ice Dream cone after we ate. 

Are you going to read Harry Potter to her?
Not for a while. We'll probably read Narnia together when she's young (as it's written for a younger audience), but I would prefer she wait to read Harry until she's at least the same age as Harry when he begins his saga (i.e. 11). Even then, I'd really like to read it together/discuss it. There's so much depth there, and I would really like to take advantage of those teaching moments. Maybe it'll be a rite of passage or something. :) We'll see. 

How did you pick her name?
We just liked Claire. Her middle name is a family name. 

Do you have everything for her?
We're working on it. We've gotten quite a bit from showers, and we have gift cards that we're planning to put to use for remaining necessities, like the rest of her diapers, her crib, her car seat, etc. We got about $130 worth of items (including a barely-used Baby Bjorn!) for $30, thanks to Craigslist. That was a fun blessing. Craigslist in a city this big and transient is like a gold mine. People just don't have the ability to hang on to things (i.e. don't have garages/attics/basements in which to store things), so they sell them frequently. 

Anyway, those are just a few of the questions that we've gotten many times over. Are there any others floating around that I didn't cover? You already know the answer to "is her nursery ready?" :). 

Have a happy Monday.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...