Monday, June 22, 2020

Spy Museum!

YEARS ago, my parents, sister, and I did a family vacation to DC. I want to say it was the summer after my sophomore year of college. One of our very favorite things that we did (we all agreed on this) was the International Spy Museum. We all absolutely loved it! We spent a solid 3 hours in there before we even realized how long we'd been there. It was just so good.

As soon as it was confirmed that we were headed to DC, I announced to Brad that I wanted the two of us to go on a date to the Spy Museum. At the beginning of December, we were finally able to do it!

Jenny and Chris very kindly came over to stay with the girls, and we got to go pick up some lunch before the museum. LUXURY, I tell you. The girls were ecstatic; they really love Aunt Jenny and Uncle Chris.

Set them up with a lunch picnic and a movie.

Headed out!

I was particularly excited to visit the museum again, as it had moved and expanded since my last visit. It did NOT disappoint! The museum documents the history of international and national espionage, as well as treachery. They exhibits are so well done, and there are so many interactive options, too. It's just SO FUN. It's not part of the Smithsonian, so you will pay admission. It is so worth it for, middle schoolers and up. *Maybe* upper elementary. I would definitely not pay to take our littles. They would probably enjoy the novelty for 15 minutes. You need a solid 3 hours. Trust me on this one. 

We ate lunch in a food court near the museum (South American street food...so good. Ate too much.), and this was on our table.




We bought our tickets online (Brad found a discount code), and entry is timed, so while we waited, we looked at the fun stuff in the gift shop.

If you have time/want to, you can participate in an undercover mission during your time in the museum. We didn't really have time, but we did go ahead and grab our identities.


Fun video about espionage before you get started.






The first exhibit is a broad and long history of international spies. I loved this exhibit. It was followed by tools and hiding places, which was FASCINATING.

There's a whole section on disguise. It's amazing.




This whole section about the Bay of Pigs was great. I've never learned a whole lot of that part of our history (perhaps for good reason...not exactly a shining star of our history).







This exhibit about propaganda was stellar. I wish we could have spent more time in this section.





One of my very favorite exhibits was this one on the evacuation of the Iranian hostages. So interesting.






The last section that we were able to spend any amount of time in was the history of espionage during war. I learned SO MUCH. I loved the little vignettes about individuals who did unbelievably amazing things, particularly Virginia Hall. I later read the book A Woman of No Importance about her life. Recommend!





The last exhibit we didn't get to linger over as long as I'd have liked. It included stories of famous traitors, which was super intriguing. 



We had an absolute blast! Can't wait to take the girls when they are (nuch) older.

And another view from the journey.


Not only did Chris and Jenny watch the girls for us, they bought them the BEST Christmas gifts for the girls! Claire and Lily hot a (pink) set of walkie-talkies, and Brynnie got a backpack with a baby attached. Which she has been in love with ever since. Thank you SO MUCH, Hydes!


LOVES her pack-pack

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...