Sunday, March 24, 2013

Counting my blessings.

I spent a couple of weeks chronicling all of the difficulties of Claire's birth and my recovery, so I thought it only fitting to spend some time listing the blessings that came our way, as well. I am under no illusion that I remember everything or am capable of listing everything and everybody that came across our path, much as I would like. I tried to make a list while we were in the hospital, but I was pretty distracted and drugged (who knows how much I missed). But, I'll do my best!

1. Biggest blessing: Claire. Obviously. She has been such a joy, and we absolutely adore her. From the get-go, she has been one of those babies that only cries when she's hungry or dirty. She will quite literally lay awake, just looking around, in the middle of the night sometimes, and I only know this because I'll check her crib...to find her looking at me. Oh man. She's the best. And the cutest. And I'm sure she's the smartest, as well. 

2. My parents. They were able to bring us stuff to the hospital and take care of things at our apartment while we couldn't be there. Once we got home, they would take care of Claire when Brad and I needed to rest. It's not ideal to live so far away from family, but it sure is awesome to have family that is willing to travel whenever they're needed. Or even just when they're wanted. Thanks, Mama and Daddy!

3. Boston friends. I prayed about this situation before we even left Jackson. I knew we were going to have a baby before we moved (although we hadn't told anyone), and I panicked a little, thinking about how we had a great network of friends in Jackson...and were leaving that to move somewhere where we knew no one! I put in a lot of time talking to the Lord about how I really wanted to have friends for after the baby was born (I mean, having friends before that was desirable, too). Thankfully, He answered that prayer so well. We've had people bringing us food, offering babysitting services, and just checking in on us to see how we're doing. It's been amazing to me to see how many kind people have been brought into our life and how much richer they've made our life here.

4. Friends from everywhere else. While I was in the hospital, I would have times where I just felt so awful and didn't think my body could handle any more (mainly my head), and I would text my mom to ask her to have her friends praying for that specifically. Kat (you know, the best friend who is mentioned regularly) received more than a few texts asking her to pray. Bless her, I think she even got one before 7:00 am Central time. That's why she's my best friend. People I haven't seen in forever were checking in with my parents and Brad to see how I was doing. I got Facebook messages and cards and emails letting me know that I was being prayed for and thought of. It was so humbling and so encouraging. It would take me one trillion years to try and thank each person individually for kindnesses that were sent my way. 

5. My nurses. With the exception of one nurses' aide, we had the most wonderful nursing staff imaginable. I know that nurses often have such a thankless job, so I want to make sure I say loudly and clearly that mine were great. They were compassionate (albeit, most of them were very New England, so it was a different approach than a Southern nursing staff would take) and kind and attentive. I've mentioned Laura several times; she was an absolute gem on Birthday. There was Peggy, who held my hands and wiped my eyes while the Great Epidural Disaster took place. Kathy took care of me during the day on the day after Claire's birth, helping me to figure out pain management and taking care of tasks that I couldn't because I was hooked up to the mag and couldn't move. I won't elaborate. There was also Katie, who made the awkward middle-of-the-night move between floors as easy as she could. Marisa, who got my i.v. in without causing emotional scarring. And Jean. She was my favorite. She took care of me for three consecutive days and could not have been more wonderful. She was encouraging and motivating and, figuratively, held my hand through much of the difficulty I experienced. I am so grateful for each of them. Day shifts and night shifts. 

There were even little encouragements that don't fit in a numbered category, like the gal who brought my meals by; right after I'd had the blood patch and was feeling a taddy bit better, she brought my dinner by and took a moment to say, "I'm so glad to see you feeling better." How kind was that? Or little "happies" that don't mean much to anyone but me: Claire was called the best baby in the nursery by a couple of nurses, and everyone took a moment to tell us how much they loved her name. 

I hope I can remember even more as time goes on. I wish I'd been able to write myself more notes to jog my memory. I am thankful for the memories I do have- good and bad. This is the stuff life is made of, right? And, by the way, I doubt I'll ever be saying that "you don't remember any of that stuff after you hold your baby." However, I'm thankful for the story that we have and how I was able to see grace and compassion and kindness. One day, I'll tell Claire about it (or maybe let her read it?), and I'll remind her how many people loved on her and how gracious God was to us. 

She'll probably say, "Ew, Mom! I don't want to know all of those birth details!" 

Oh well. It'll be my prerogative, so she'll just have to bear with me. :)

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...