Monday, February 25, 2013

Life: Doesn't always go as planned, does it?

I know I mentioned in this post that my doctor was running some tests and keeping an eye on me last week. It's still nothing to panic about, but it has changed our schedule a little bit. 

I had my regularly-scheduled check up last Wednesday, and very completely unusually for me, I had very high blood pressure. Enough that my doctor's face registered complete shock and she started questioning me about headaches and swelling (and symptoms that I knew were associated with preeclampsia). I tried to keep calm and not panic, because of course, I'm well-versed in my Downton Abbey and knew what happened in the 1920's when preeclampsia wasn't dealt with. Yikes.

She continued my check up and explained to me the tests she wanted to run and- best part- that she was going to be out of town all weekend.

Awesome. 

Still keeping calm. Although, I should mention, my mom was with me, but Brad actually wasn't (for the first time ever). They had actually overlooked me at my scheduled appointment time, and I didn't get called back until an hour later. Brad, with my blessing, had ducked out early to head to class. I didn't think he had to be there, since I'd had no major issues throughout my pregnancy (of extreme medical significance...just extreme inconvenience and discomfort) and wasn't expecting any news out of the ordinary. So, obviously, the day I tell him to go ahead and go to class, I get this great news.

I spent the next few days following orders: 
*lab work with barely-competent phlebotomist: check
*24-hour urine specimen: check
*bedrest on my left side: check (for the most part)

This morning (Monday, February 25), I had an ultrasound that the doctor scheduled (just to check and make sure the baby is still getting enough blood flow). Things looked fine with the baby (thank goodness), though the radiologist didn't say anything for. so. long. while staring at her heart. It was really unnerving. She did say, "Looks like it's time for you to have a baby. You're 38 weeks- there's no reason to be pregnant any more. Go see your doctor."

While I was at the ultrasound (which, by the way, someone should remind me to blog about- it was an experience in and of itself), I got a phone call and voicemail from my doctor's office. Because of the results of my urine test, they wanted me to come to my afternoon appointment with a bag packed.

Which I did. My blood pressure was still elevated, and I got sent over to Labor and Delivery to be admitted.

And now, I'm writing this from my hospital bed, where I'm hooked up to my i.v. and have been given step 1 in the induction process. Because of the preeclampsia, I'll be on magnesium off and on. Not sure when I'll update again, but we should have a baby by tomorrow. Yay!

2 comments:

Karen Tidwell said...

Waiting with great excitement here. Praying for good rest and in the words of the famous Mr. McGreedy (I hope I am remembering this right--the sesame street postman) a "speedy delivery." Love you much, Karen Tidwell

M & M said...

How exciting!!! I will pray for complete peace tonight. I remember how nervous I was with my first...and second...and even a bit with my third. This is nothing you can quite prepare for, right?

Can't wait to see your little one via blog!

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...