Friday, September 5, 2014

Flashback Friday: Kayaking.

Seriously. Those of you who know me: would you ever have thought I would go kayaking? In all honesty, though, it's something I've been intrigued by for a while. I think water sports are fun and interesting, and as long as I don't overturn in alligator-infested waters, kayaking seems like a fun adventure to me. Thankfully, our water of choice in Boston- the Charles River- isn't known for its alligators.

Before leaving Boston, Brad and I were determined to squeeze in tons of Boston fun, which decided should include kayaking the Charles. So, we started our adventure in the Newton-ish area of town (where there wasn't too much going on, river-wise). When we checked in, we were greeted with really encouraging news of "since it's been raining, the e coli levels have the potential to be higher than normal. Were we sure we wanted to do it at our own risk?" 

Yeah. We did want to.




We spent about two hours paddling our way down the river, getting to see the city from a new perspective. Boston was on our right, and Cambridge was on the left. We went under about seven different bridges, and I am still kicking myself for not getting pictures of the graffiti. There were some really interesting (and not inappropriate) messages and images. We passed by churches and old apartment buildings and BU and the Esplanade (a long walkway that runs alongside the river). We paddled into a little lagoon along the esplanade and say ducks and lily pads and also passed by where we sat for our 3rd of July Independence Day celebrating. 




Tower at MIT.



The Esplanade Lagoon.

Proof.

Brad even got this shot of Boston's famous Citgo sign.

By the time we finished, we had gotten to see so much of our favorite city from such a fun and different perspective. We also had really tired arm muscles...So, obviously, after burning off all of those calories, we had to fill up on burritos in Kendall Square. We had never spent any time in Kendall, so even that was a fun Boston experience. We were there on a Thursday, and there was live music on Thursdays during the summer. We also got a little bit of an unplanned tour around Kendall while we were trying to find our T station. We may have walked in the wrong direction for several minutes. 

All in all, I'd say it was one of my favorite Boston experiences. I'm not one for the outdoors; I'm a city person. So, kayaking through the city was a perfect combination for me. Plus, it felt like we were on the Amazing Race. Not sure why. It just seems like something contestants would have to do. 

If you go to Boston and have the time, I recommend it! It's a neat way to see such a wonderful city.

Sorry for the blurry pictures...not sure why they are so blurry.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks so fun! I love it. And I actually really enjoy kayaking.

Also, you've educated me. I had no idea Boston had a famous Citgo sign!

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...