Thursday, May 28, 2015

The end of a decade.

I turned 30 last week. What??

It's true. I feel like it sneaked up on me. I can remember details about the day I went to get my driver's permit at age 15, which is now HALF MY LIFE AGO. I cannot make sense of that in my head. I remember details from the year I was 10, which is now TWO-THIRDS OF MY LIFE AGO. This is surreal and crazy.


I still don't feel like an adult in most areas of my life. I feel like other people view me as the college student that I haven't been in quite a few years and like I'm not grown up enough to have a baby that I'm responsible for. You know how when you're in college, it's totally expected that if someone has to sleep on the couch or the floor, it will be you? In my head, I'm still that kid. But in reality, I'm definitely old enough to score a real place to sleep. These are the very grown-up thoughts going through my head.


I’m not upset or stressed about this particular birthday; I feel kind of ambivalent about changing decades. So ambivalent, in fact, that I didn’t bother making a list of goals to accomplish before turning thirty or planning a big birthday bash. I had a small cookout dinner with a couple of friends for a party, and the ship sailed ages ago on making a list of goals for my twenties. So, in an inversion of that activity, I decided to make a list of things that I’m really glad happened while I was in my twenties:

1. Graduated college, summa cum laude (the summa part of that accomplishment is important, seeing as how someone told me my freshman year that aspiring to be near the top of my class was a goal I should abandon).

2. Lived internationally with an organization whose goals I firmly believe in. I never aspired to live in Ukraine specifically, but Ukraine became a HUGE part of my story.

3. Worked at my alma mater, doing a job that I loved.

4. Married Brad. Best decision of my life.

5. Lived in a major U.S. city. I fell for Boston SO HARD. Loved it so much.

6. Had Claire while living in Boston. Love that girl.

7. Lived in three states that are not my state of origin (Tennessee, Massachusetts, and North Carolina).

8. Became rather adept at parallel parking. J

Not a shabby list, in my opinion. All wonderful people and events that have radically shaped the thirty-year-old me. I’m so thankful.

Birthday festivities started with a trip to the Biltmore for the Dressing Downton Exhibit, courtesy of my in-laws. They kept Claire and sent Brad and me to enjoy a day at the Biltmore, which we did! The exhibit was great, and we had a good time hanging out and getting to chat without interruptions about Cheerios or dirty diapers.

On my actual birthday, we had two couple friends over for burgers and hanging out. It was really low-key and lots of fun. One couple are friends through Brad’s program at Duke and the other we know through both Union and the IMB. So crazy how people can come back into your life when you least expect it.

Brad made me lots of fantastic Birthday Week Meals (he makes AWESOME biscuits and gravy) and took me to several of my favorite restaurants. Well done, mister.

Claire learned to say, “Happy Birsday, Mommy!” and did so, often, with gusto.


Thank you to everyone who had a hand in making my birthday so much fun! 

She guarded the Bocce ball like it was her job.


Love Mrs. Ashley...

...and Mr. Eric.

Promise.

The Bocce-players (and the ball girl).

See? She likes Mr. Eric.

Flowers from friends (left) and flowers from Brad and Claire (right).

Greenhouse at the Biltmore.




We had a great time visiting during the "Dressing Downton" exhibit.


I made Brad pose for this one. So glad I did.

Oh yes...Mother's Day was the day before my birthday this year. Here's our photo shoot:






Is she a mess or what?

1 comment:

bo said...

Yea!! You got to see the Dressing Downton exhibit. Wasn't it fabulous!?

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...