Wednesday, December 2, 2015

That time I saved a name + a tip from me to you

Ok, per a request, here's the story of how I saved our potential boy's name from being eliminated from our list.

Several years ago (I'm guessing 4. We had been married almost no time, if I recall correctly.), Brad and I were visiting with his family in east Tennessee. We were gathered around a table (perhaps for a meal), discussing his aunt's newest pet acquisition: a bird. She was on the hunt for a name, and we were all giving and responding to suggestions. Background informational tidbit #1: Brad's family tends to name their pets people names that I really like and, at one point or another, may have considered as monikers for little Boswell babies. This is a very difficult pill to swallow. While the pet has a fabulous name, I no longer feel that it would be an appropriate name for any child that comes along after the pet has been established with that name. You see where I'm coming from, right? Background informational tidbit #2: Brad and I were not yet discussing actual children, but we had tossed around a few names that we liked and would one day consider for a child. We settled on no girl names, but we landed on our boy name pretty instantly. Total agreement. Solid name. Significant meaning to our lives. Done. The name was locked and loaded for any potential firstborn males.

Fast forward to the pet name conversation. After discussing suggestions for a few minutes, his aunt threw out our name as an option. THE name we would be using for our not-yet-existent, unborn child. My mind raced through all of the names that had already been eliminated from my list because of Boswell pets, and I just could not watch the PERFECT (for us) BOY NAME go to the bird (no matter how much I may like the bird). So, in a moment of awkwardness, I blurted out, "PLEASE don't name your bird that!"

Everyone looked at me in confusion. Someone said, "Don't you like it?" To which I responded, "YES! I love it. That's the problem. WE ARE NOT PREGNANT, but if we ever have a son, that's the name we've picked out. I...just think...it would be weird for there to be a pet already named that. Please don't name the bird that."

At this point, everyone kind of looked sideways and chuckled like, "Ok, silly. We won't use the name you picked out for your non-existent kid." Then, to make the moment even more significant, Brad's brother commented that he'd actually thought that he might use that name in the future, too. Y'all, can you say CLOSE CALL? Apparently, I claimed the name just in the nick of time, as quite a few folks had their eyes on it. WHEW. And, it's been kind of a joke since then that dibs have been called on the name. Not sure who gets it if we never have a boy...

Here's a tip I have for you this holiday season:
Brad and I have been using Ebates for several months now. I ran across it a while back, checked it out to see if it was legit (it is), and we installed the button on our browsers (and I added it on my phone, too). Basically, it's a digital rebate app that gives you cash back (as in, they mail you a check once a quarter. An actual check that you deposit for real cash money.) when you shop online at participating sites. Good sites, too, like Snapfish, Target, Ebay, Groupon, Macy's, Wal-Mart. There are gazillions of sites; once you install the button on your browser, whenever you go to a participating site, Ebates will alert you to what percentage rebate they'll give you (anywhere from 2%-20%), you click the button to activate it, and then you shop. Then they add the rebate to your account. Then they mail you a check. In the past 4ish months, we've gotten over $60. It's true.

Once you install it and make your first purchase of at least $25, you get $10 added to your account. If you refer friends (like I'm attempting to do right now), you also get money credited to your account. It's a really nice perk added to something I would be doing anyway. Just today, I was ordering some stuff from Snapfish. I activated Ebates (20% on Snapfish this week!) and have a little less than $10 coming my way next check. I also used it at Target (2%) and got another $.45 (sometimes it's not a lot, but hey, I did almost nothing and got a rebate, so I'll take it!). 

We've really benefited from it, so I thought I'd pass along the good news! If you're interested in giving it a whirl, HERE'S my referral code. I also added a button on my sidebar, if that's easier. Give it a try! I know it sounds like I work for them and am promoting them with my gushy-ness, but really, I've just had a great experience and want to share the love. Also, I wanted to let you know this week while a lot of Cyber Monday deals are still in play. I totally benefited from that today. 

Happy Wednesday, friends.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...