Friday, February 5, 2016

Another February 5

Those of you who have been around for a while know that February 5th is a significant day in my life. I've written about it year after year, reflecting on God's protection and how profoundly that day affected my life.

My senior year of college, an F-4 tornado hit my university, Union University (Jackson, TN- Go, Bulldogs!), destroying and/or significantly structurally damaging most of the dorms on campus while we were all inside, seeking cover. The first responders showed up to campus with 200 body bags because there was "no way that there wouldn't be dozens of casualties." It was one of the most surreal and terrifying experiences I could ever have imagined (and I have an extremely active imagination). It was 8 years ago (2/5/08), and I can still recall the fear and the feel in the air and random little things that happened as though it just happened recently. It's one of those events branded in my memory that I'll probably still be able to remember when I'm 80.

So, every February 5th, I am particularly grateful for God's protection. I'm so thankful for Union's leadership at the time (Dr. David Dockery, Dr. Carla Sanderson, Dr. Gene Fant, among others), who worked tirelessly to make sure that Union recovered to the best of her ability and especially that those of us slated to graduate a few short months later were able to. I'm humbled by remembering all of the friends, family, and even strangers who gave generously so that I (and everyone else) could get back on our feet and back to life. I know that not all tornado stories end so well, so I'm extremely grateful that I can write about it year after year.

A practical remnant of the tornado experience is that I don't mess around when it comes to severe weather (and neither do hundreds of other former Union students!). If there are severe weather threats, you better believe I know where my purse/wallet/i.d./medications/small valuables are and that they are close by and ready to be grabbed in a moment. Also, I will be wearing tennis shoes or similarly sturdy shoes. I will be wearing practical clothes...because you never know when you'll find yourself wearing the same ridiculous outfit for an unreasonably long period of time. And my phone? It will be fully charged. All of these things BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW. Words to the wise, friends.

For those of you reading who were a part of my "recovery" process post-tornado, I'm so grateful for you. I've been so blessed with family and friends that are just beyond compare. Thankful for yet another February 5th.

Oh, and also? I love that Durham basically never gets tornadoes. #winning

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...