Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ash Wednesday

Brad and I have been part of church communities that observe Ash Wednesday (and Lent) for the past 5 years, and this 6th year is no different. I've mentioned in passing that we've (finally) landed on a church in Durham, and unlike our previous churches in our married life, this one is not actually Anglican or Anglican-esque (smiling at you, Christ Community). We're currently worshiping at a Presbyterian church (a first for both of us), which also observes Lent.

Tonight, we participated in our 6th Ash Wednesday service, and yet again, it was such a meaningful way to start this journey towards Easter. I've written several times over the past few years about how the observance of Lent has deeply impacted me, so I won't wax eloquent about it today. I'll just say that every year that I participate in Lent along with the church community we're a part of, I reap such unexpected benefits in my life as a believer. It's not accurate to say that I "look forward" to Lent, because who really likes giving up something in order to focus on something more important? Or spending a great deal of time meditating on hard things and things that are uncomfortable parts of life? Those are inconvenient and uncomfortable things to do. But through those things, I continually find that my relationship to God and His Church is incredibly strengthened and fortified.

Claire is old enough this year to more actively participate in lenten activities, so we've been putting some thought into how we want to approach that with her. It's a tricky thing- trying to figure out how to convey the meaning of lent and what it is building up to to a 2-almost-3-year-old. She's starting to understand who Jesus is/the role He plays in our life and really enjoyed going through the elements of the Christmas story during Advent. Easter, on the other hand, is a little more complicated to explain, don't you think? I've been praying about it and charting out some ideas and activities for a few weeks now, and Brad and I have picked out some scripture we want to work on with her. She seems to really enjoy learning scripture, and while we realize that she doesn't understand all or even most of what she's reciting, we can't help but trust that it will stick with her on some level. So, we're heading into this unknown (for us) territory and praying for positive results. I'll try to post about this journey with Claire as it plays out. I'm sure it will be quite an experience.

If anyone who isn't observing Lent with their church communities is interested in "participating" in a kind of way, I highly recommend following along with the daily readings prepared by She Reads Truth (girls) or He Reads Truth (guys). I've followed She Reads Truth for several years now, and I particularly appreciate their Lent studies. There are daily scriptures followed by a very brief devotion, along with scripture that participants are encouraged to commit to memory. Also, give them a follow on Instagram, if you're an Instagrammer (@shereadstruth). It's just so full of encouragement and helpful reminders.

I just washed the ash from this evening off of my forehead, remembering its significance as a reminder of my mortality and my need for a Savior. What a sobering thought to take with me into this time of preparation for Easter.


Genesis 3:18
By the sweat of your face
you shall eat bread,
till you return to the ground,
for out of it you were taken;
for you are dust,


and to dust you shall return.”

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...