Sunday, February 5, 2017

SPECIAL EDITION Around here lately: Grandparent edition

After our Christmas visit to Alabama, Claire stayed for a solo visit with my parents. Mom faithfully jotted down Claire quotes during her visit so that we wouldn't miss out. Enjoy this special edition of Claire: On the Road! (and again...sorry about the formatting)

Can you stay when you guys leave? to me. I. E. Don't leave!

On their way to the store, a car pulled out very closely in front of them. That person was not focusing on driving. They were probably on the phone like the lady the other day. 
Back story: while Brad and I were still in Alabama, a woman nearly hit the van while Brad was driving. After quickly maneuvering out of her path, Brad noticed she was texting. He got her attention and very forcefully let her know that she needed to put her phone down and watch the road. Brad almost never gets loud, so this stuck to Claire in a huge way.

The grass is for deer, so they don't eat the gardening. A very rough reference to an episode of Curious George.

Auntie is busy at work? Is she doing charts? My dad is a doctor and works on patient charts in the evenings.

Claire: Why is that lady talking like that?
Nana: She's apologizing because she made a mistake.
Claire: Why did she make a mistake?
Nana: Well, everybody makes mistakes sometimes.
Claire: Not ME!

Referring to the chocolate chips from her pancake: I don't like them on my teeth, so I got them off with my tongue.

Upon waking up: I feel rested.

Asking for chapstick and finding there wasn't any handy: If we don't have any, we'll just do without.

Brad and I talking to Claire on the phone during her visit:
Erin: Lily will sleep in your room when you get home!
Claire: Oh! Did she grow up??

While listening to my mom and dad talking to a friend about his son's girlfriend: WOOF!
*She had watched Home Alone with us enough to know that Kevin says, "Buzz, your girlfriend...WOOF!"

Negotiating the finish of breakfast in order to get gold fish:
Claire: One more bite? Two? Five?
Nana: Claire, we can't count bites because you're just nibbling. I have to see that you are serious.
Claire: OK. I'm NOT serious.


Combining two of her favorite things: I want to find a different Universal [Studios] where I can ride on a Superbook like Chris and Joy did. Riding on a book would be fun!

Claire: Sometimes Daddy makes yummy things.
Nana: Like what?
Claire: Like pancake chocolate with syrup. That's my favorite treat!


Poppy is making noise with his mouth. 
Claire: Poppy, what's that sound?   

Poppy: Poppy is making noise with his mouth.  
Claire: Poppy, you crack me up!


Mom: Why are you kissing your knee, baby?
Claire: Because I miss Mommy and Daddy...


Referring to Rapunzel: I fink she was finking....

After finishing a call to Brad and me: That was a good call!

Some conflated version of leaving the pipes dripping so they won't freeze: We are going to leave the faucet on so it will get warm air.

Pretending to be a dog: I need a belly rub. She also wanted mom to pitch her Rapunzel doll so she could bring her back in her mouth.

One night, they noted that Gracey (the cat) had gotten hair on our bedspread. You guys are going to have to clean this mess up!!
They
 did.

(Dramatically)
I miss my mommy!
(Barely finished the word Mommy)
Wait! Why are those fuzzies on my sock? Nana, can you wash them? Where are my penguins, Nana? Is my pancake ready?


Um, nana, I think that's someone else's buggy...
Mom was checking out some of the sale items that Kroger often puts in buggies grouped together. Claire was concerned that maybe Nana had lost all sense of social propriety and was digging in someone else's buggy.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...