Friday, March 30, 2018

Little trip to Boston!

A couple of weeks ago, Brad and I got to go to Boston for a little weekend trip! Brad applied to participate in a pedagogy seminar being held in Boston, and when he was accepted, we decided to make a short trip out of it for the two of us. Not exactly a baby-moon, but as close to one as we ever get. Real quick, here's our "baby-moon" history:
1. Claire: none.
2. Lily: 2 nights in Asheville, courtesy of a credit card points hotel stay + Groupons for all meals + gift card for a movie.
3. 3rd baby: Boston seminar + another credit card points hotel stay.
None of this Cancun-ing for us, guys.


Where we stayed, thanks to Brad's seminar (and credit card rewards)!



A few various views around our hotel.

I don't have a lot of pictures from our trip, in part because almost as soon as we arrived in
Boston, a nor'easter slammed New England. For Boston, that meant really high winds and lots of rain. So, while Brad was in his seminar (at the hotel where we were staying), rather than visiting favorite Bostonian haunts of mine, I hunkered down in our hotel room and listened to podcasts (I binge-listened to Mom Struggling Well, and it was a fantastic use of my time). I ordered room service for lunch and put in a to-go order from a nearby Panera for supper. I was SUPER ashamed of myself for getting Panera while in Boston. I basically refuse to eat non-Boston-based chain restaurants while there because there are so many incredible local options (exception while we lived there: driving to a nearby town to get Chick-Fil-A on occasion. Southerners must have Chick-Fil-A on occasion.).


However, Panera was my best option because a) it was less than 100 yards from our hotel entrance and b) I poured over the nutrition facts online to pick out the best options for my diabetic diet. I nearly blew away a la the nanny applicants in Mary Poppins while walking to pick up my food, thanks to the winds. I took an umbrella, but I gave up on it, as it kept trying to blow inside out. It definitely confirmed that staying in the hotel was the best plan.

Although there was some rather bad weather, we were still able to work in supper with two different sets of friends (2 separate nights), dessert with another family, and a morning at our Boston church. Those visits all ministered to our souls, and we were so grateful for them. We also walked around Quincy Market for a little while before we had to head to the airport. Not our most "Boston" of all Boston visits but really wonderful nonetheless.

Sunday morning service at Church of the Cross! This is a different building than we met in while we lived there, due to CotC adding a morning service and therefore needing a second location. It was neat to see the new location.

Great view of the Pru just down the street from the morning service location.

And a Regina's! Sadly, I did not get any Regina's (or Mike's) this visit. The weather didn't help, but diabetes was the real culprit.

Faneuil Hall

State House. One of my favorite buildings in the city. It's so interesting to see the juxtaposition of this quaint old building next to modern skyscrapers.

We had a wonderful visit, despite the weather. Boston is such a dear place to us, and it's always a gift to get to visit. 

While we were gone, the girls went to Johnson City with my in-laws. They actually went for several days longer than we were in Boston, due to scheduling (which ended up being helpful for me, as North Carolina bloomed that week, and I was SICK. As in, stuck-in-my-bed sick.). The girls were there for Claire's actual birthday, which was my first not to be with her in person, but Gran did a great job making sure she felt loved and celebrated! As did, Nana, though she wasn't physically present. Before the girls left for Tennessee, Mom mailed a few small gifts to me to pack in the girls' bags to open for Claire's birthday (including a few things for Lily). See necklaces and socks below. :)





The glasses/crowns weren't from Nana but definitely added to the awesomeness of the birthday. 

The glasses live in our van and are worn often.



Like Boston, Tennessee had quite a bit of rain that week/weekend, too, it seems. And both girls' seasonal allergies came out to play, but before all that, they had some fun times outside!






And, of course, there was birthday partying! Barbara made a fabulous cake (I obviously did not get any, but I can venture a guess, based on my prior experience, that is was fabulous), and Claire was very celebrated by our Tennessee family.







We are so grateful for Gran and Grandpa so cheerfully taking care of the girls for us, so that we could enjoy a long weekend in Boston. The girls had a wonderful time, and we could rest easy knowing that they were having a blast.

We classy.

Good times with Grandpa. And probably Super Why.

Our March definitely got off to a great start (minus all the allergies, bless us. This is why I hate Spring. We get SO SICK. Y'all can think I'm weird all you want, but hang out around here during the worst of the temp change + pollen, and you'll get it.). Thanks, Gran and Grandpa for making this happen for us!

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...