Monday, April 4, 2016

Around here lately: March 2016 edition

So the question is: how long will I keep lists of the funny things Claire says? I can't seem to stop myself. I don't know if I'll be able to keep up monthly lists once we have New Baby at home, but I doubt I'll be able to completely stop (and I don't really want to). Hope y'all enjoy!

"Can we talk about those egggggs?" Her way of asking if we can talk about the Resurrection Eggs.

"We got EVERYTHING we NEEDED!" What she says after I pick up any item on our list at any store we visit.



"I'm being sweet to Daddy. That makes him happy." Making sure I notice her sweet behavior. Recognition...or it doesn't count!


Oh, that foot-pop.

"I don't want to make Jesus sad!" We had been talking about disobedience and how it makes Jesus sad when we do wrong things. I was quite happy about her response.




"Oh no! Kat is sick. I better pray for her! It will make her feel better." Kat had texted to let me know that she was basically ON HER DEATHBED with a cocktail of wintery illnesses, and I told Brad. Claire overheard and became very concerned. She loves Kat, so obviously, we needed to do what we could to help.


Don't mind her...just looking like a teenager!

Me: "Be careful- you're going to hurt Daddy."
Claire: "I don't want to do that!" 

I think this was in reference to Claire climbing up Brad's back while he sat on the couch. She's really good at scaling his back but isn't always terribly careful about it.

"Look, Mommy! It's a whistle pig!" There's a Curious George episode about Groundhog Day, but because it's set in the Midwest, they call them whistle pigs. Later, we were watching The Amazing Race, and a commercial with a groundhog came on. She was very proud of herself for identifying the animal correctly.


Check out the guard bear in the doorway.

"Daddy, I'm so glad you're back!" Said while hugging Brad tightly after he was gone for a very long day.

"pine combs" Otherwise known as pine cones.


Playing dress-up with and then lining up her princess dolls.

"Daddy's getting away!" Brad was walking ahead of her. Obviously.

"The end. For tonight." Every night after we finish reading her Bible story, she says, "The End!" and Brad says, "For tonight." Eventually, she just began saying both parts herself.


A new favorite activity.

"Stop being so 'matic." I regularly tell Claire not to be "so dramatic" (I have NO idea where she gets her dramatic flair from, geez). When my parents were heading to the airport after Claire's birthday weekend, my mom said something along the lines of "Oh, I'm sad we have to leave," to which Claire responded with this gem.


Beginning our adventures in toddler gardening.

"Not Mommy- just you and ME!" I overheard her say this to Brad when she thought the two of them were having lunch without me. It would hurt my feelings, except she says the reverse to me about Brad periodically.



"I scared myself!" This is said after she runs into something or falls off of something. Basically, if she does something that doesn't exactly hurt but is jarring, nonetheless.

"It looks like I want to eat chocolate." She asked for a snack. I offered carrots. She counter offered.


She voted! Or rather, I did and she got a sticker.

"I crashed into the leaves..." After a hilarious tricycle run into the bushes.

"I don't want the day to be over. I want it to come back on."


Sometimes, we cannot be bothered to look up or smile.

Me: "Mommy doesn't feel good. I think I worked too much."
Claire: "Or maybe you want chocolate." Yes, dear one. This is almost always true.

"Please don't take my party down, Nana!" Mom was helping take down some decor in preparation for the baby shower a few weeks ago, and Claire entreated her with this pitiful plea. Poor Mom.


Don't be fooled: that bottle of salad dressing is actually her mandolin/ukulele.

"I heard the baby kick my hand!" She gets a little confused about the baby's movements.

"It's Baby Sister's trosta!" I finished New Baby's pillow that is similar to Claire's matroshka pillow made by our friend, Laura Kay- the pillow I took all of her weekly and monthly pictures with. Claire calls is her "trosta," rather than "matroshka." She saw the one I made for New Baby and made the connection instantly.


Hanging with the two trostas. Claire's is on the left and New Baby's on the right.

Me: "What should we name Baby Sister?"
Claire: "We should name her 'George.'" As in, the Curious Monkey.

"This needs more squish!" In reference to a tower of pillows she constructed.


Mr. Bear must look sharp always.

Seriously. She means business. That's a headband and a hat.

"Don't be so smarky, Daddy." I think she's heard me tell Brad not to be snarky a time or two.

"I want one piece of bread folded over on purpose!" Referring to whether or not she wants one or two pieces of bread for her sandwich. No idea where the "on purpose" part came from.


Crafting is serious business around here.

"Let's see if I can make you feel better!" To me, after my day spent at the hospital. Of course, she made me feel better!

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...