Thursday, September 1, 2016

Alabama in August

We've spent a good amount of time in Alabama this summer. Before Grammy passed away, we had planned an August trip to celebrate Grammy's 80th birthday; after she passed away, we chose to keep the trip on the calendar anyway, deciding that some more family time was still a good idea (plus, Brad had a conference in Minnesota for several days + a few days scheduled to visit Tim, so having extra hands to help with the girls was a big YAY for me).

My mom actually flew up to Durham to make the drive with me, which was HUGE. About a week before our big pilgrimage south, Brad and I had taken Claire halfway to Johnson City to meet up with Bill and Barbara for a Claire swap (I guess it wasn't technically a swap...more of a delivery). She spent 5 days with them- without us- before Mom, Lily, and I got there to pick her up. She had the grandest of times! Brad, Lily, and I had a pretty good time, too. It's amazing how productive I can be with only Lily at home. We definitely missed Claire, but we did, I admit, enjoy the lower-key nature of the week. We even went to see and actual movie in an actual movie theater! Lily went with us and slept through it like a champ.

Mom, Lily, and I said goodbye to Brad and headed over to Johnson City, spent a day and a night, and then packed up the girls and made our way to Alabama- just a few days before the Olympics began! We had a fantastic time eating our Huntsville favorites (I'm looking at you Phil Sandoval's, Little Rosie's, Papa Gyro's, Lawler's, and Steak Out), visiting with dear friends (Hi, Mrs. Tidwell and Mrs. Romine!), going to church with Nana and Poppy, seeing our cousins, and watching a LOT of Olympics. Claire got to do some of her favorite things (like eat sugar and stay up late and watch TV and run around outside), and I had a great time hanging out with my parents. 

Now, I hope you enjoy a photographic tale of our trip:


Making our way to Johnson City to pick up Claire. Lily is great in the car, by the way. It's about a 4.5 hour drive, so this is a wonderful trait.

Visiting with Ray Ray during lunch.

A quick little visit with Mamaw (not pictured but definitely present: Papaw, Aunt Donna, and Uncle JD).

Supper with Aunt Sue. They were having a big time.

Watching videos with Ray Ray.

This is what I have to put up with, guys.

On our way south!

Getting to watch a rare car video around hour 4 (it's about 5 hours from JC to HSV, and the stretch from Scottsboro to Madison feels interminable.).

We went to Bridgestreet for supper our first day back in town. And for funsies, Poppy and Claire took a ride on the train. It was a hit, of course.

We had supper at Pieology and dessert at Steel City Pops. Mom introduced me to the Buttermilk flavor (which had me skeptical at first), and it was goooooood. Related: Claire is not fast enough with big popsicles.



Dad of girls + Poppy of girls = this picture.

In honor of the Olympics Opening Ceremonies, we made a torch for her to bear. And bear it she did.

It even joined us for supper. Note our patriotic-wear. I also taught her to chant "USA! USA! USA!" which she did with gusto.

Getting ready to watch!

And Bo came for the weekend! Lily really was excited. This is just not a great picture of that excitement...

My children could not get it together.

And again. Claire's face. I mean, really.

Fun on the floor with Bo!

And this is an absolute favorite of mine. How sweet are they??

My Auntie Val (Daddy's sister) and her newest granddaughter, Cheyenne, with Daddy and Lily. Cheyenne was born 3 weeks after Lily. 

Cheyenne: Do they make you pose for pictures all the time, too?
Lily: Yeah, girl. I think we better just roll with it.

Auntie (my mom's sister) brought her granddaughters, Mackenzie and Rosemary, up to visit for a day. Rosemary was very taken with Lily, and Claire had a blast with a "big girl" to play with.

I sent Brad this picture of Crazy Eyes. Wanted to make sure he didn't forget what she looked like.

We love our Nana.

And our Poppy.

We stopped back through Johnson City on the way home (it's about halfway between HSV and Durham). Hangin' with Papaw here.

And NOT cooperating for a picture with Mamaw. 3-year-olds... They are so tricky.

Having a blast with Gran and Daddy.

We had a really great visit, and Claire, especially, had a wonderful visit. I've lived several places as an adult, but I'm always reminded of how much I love Alabama every time we visit. I'll always consider myself an Alabamian and will always consider it home. And thankfully, Claire is learning to love it, too. In fact, as we drove back to Tennessee on the journey home, I texted Mom some of the things that Claire said:

Mommy, I wish Nana will be OK. I hope that was fun for nana. I don't want to leave without her. 

Lily, I know we're leaving from Alabama, but we had fun. I'm sorry we're going. 

Lily was fussing. Claire: Lily wants to go back to Alabama. I'm so sorry, Lily, but we can't go back to Alabama today. I'm sorry. .. (hangs head)

Thank, Mom and Dad, for such a fun visit home! I'm so glad the girls and I were able to spend such fun time with you! Looking forward to the next time.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...