Sunday, August 21, 2016

Letter to my Little Lily: 4 Months

Lily-belle,

Here you are clocking in at 4 months. It's been a wonderful 4 months with you! You are still our peaceful, joyful, content, SMILEY girl. Everyone else says those things about you, too. I truly believe that you are rewarding me for a hard pregnancy with your exceptional behavior. And I THANK YOU for that. 



This month you started laughing! You laughed for the first time on July 19. Claire was talking to you and "tickling" you, and you giggled at her. It was the sweetest moment. You've giggled at all of us a few more times since then, plus you belly laughed for a good 10 minutes while we were in Alabama. We absolutely love it! You can keep doing it as much as you want! You found your toes a couple weeks ago and do toe touches all day long. I once caught you chewing on your toe like it was no big deal. You also rolled over for the first time on August 9...but no one saw it! We put you down- SWADDLED- for a nap, and when I came in to check on you, you were on your stomach and apparently confused as to what had happened to you. I'm glad you're fully capable of age-appropriate behavior, but you can slow it down and I won't be upset at all.




You really are the smiliest ever. You never fail to greet us with huge, toothless smiles, and it is the sweetest. I'm so thankful for your happy heart and cheerful disposition. It brings a happy moment into everyone's day. It also prevents you from keeping your paci in your mouth; you'll be sucking on your paci, then start smiling and just can't keep it in. Bless.


You also discovered your tongue this month. It's hilarious to watch you poke it out and move it around. Claire really enjoys making tongue-out faces back and forth with you, although I'm not sure that you realize that's what's happening.


Claire is still such a source of entertainment for you. You watch her so intently and love it when she interacts with you. She loves to talk to you; she's checks in, saying things like, "Hi, Lily, hi! Hi, baby. Did you sleep well?" I pray that you girls grow up loving to spend time together (and if it doesn't always go that way while you live in the same house, I have high hopes that you'll be besties as adults).



A few funny things that you do:
1. You like to move and wiggle in your bed, often turning yourself 90 and sometimes 180 degrees in your crib. 
2. Until I trimmed it, you had the craziest tuft of hair on the back of your head that was about the size of a dime in diameter and grew a full 2 inches longer than all of the other hairs. It was a little unbelievable. 
3. You like to talk right before bedtime. This is always after Claire has been in bed and you have Daddy and me all to yourself. Daddy thinks it's the result of having absorbed all of what Claire has been saying and doing during the day. I think it's because it's your only opportunity to speak uninterrupted. Either way, it's a fun part of the day.
4. You really love ceiling fans. If we need to distract you for some reason, we find a ceiling fan for you to watch and say, "Look, Lily! A fan!" Almost always works.



You are just the best little baby I ever could have imagined. Sometimes, I find myself thinking, "I can't believe that- of all the babies we could have gotten- we got Lily." I really, genuinely feel that way. Thank you for that.



We love you, Lils!


Week 14


Week 15



Week 16: Progression of Confusion



Week 17

4 Months

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...