Saturday, July 27, 2013

Alabama Gulf Coast...the best beaches.

*I got super behind again. Shocker, right? We're back in Boston now, so I should have several posts coming at ya over the next few days.


Seriously. You can argue with me if you want, but I know I'm right. If you've never been to the Alabama Gulf Coast, you should start planning a trip. (I realize some folks prefer more lively waves and whatnot or the kinds of beaches that you don't swim at-like in New England- but for REAL beaching, the Gulf wins, hands down). The water is gorgeous and so floatable (although, there are plenty of mild waves to jump, if that's your thing). The sand is like sugar (like, super white, awesomely soft, refined sugar). The beaches are more classy than tacky. It's just fabulous.

Even when it rains. Which it did a couple of the days we were down there last week. Maybe I should have started this post with a comment about how my parents, Amiee, Claire, and I spent last week in Orange Beach...

We arrived after our day of lousy travel and had approximately 36 hours at home before heading south. We had no idea how Bearsy would do with such a long drive, but we found out: she was awesome. Such a good car baby. It took us a little longer than usual to drive down, thanks to some wretched weather that had all the cars crawling, as well as needing to stop for feedings and diaper changes, but it was not even close to being miserable. Go Bear!


Bear's first ever Wal-Mart sighting. Fact about Massachusetts: they are very anti Wal-Mart up here. They feel that it jeopardizes local, Mom-and-Pop enterprises. I definitely miss it.

Our sunny days were hit and miss, but we had tons of fun, anyway. Mom and Dad had a little pop-up beach tent for Claire, which was perfect. She loved the sand and the water and napping on the beach. Couldn't have asked for a better first reaction to the beach. Go Bear!


My favorite picture of the two of us. This is probably due to my vanity. I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight, so I'm not quite as critical of pictures of myself.


Nana (my mom) bought THE. CUTEST. swimsuits for Bearsy. Seriously. How adorable is that?

We set up shop on the beach next to an awesome sand sculptor a couple of days in a row. Here's one of his creations:



I wish I'd gotten pictures of the Mater (like, from Cars) that he did. That was my favorite.


We watched movies when we couldn't be on the beach and spent an afternoon at the outlet malls in Foley. Bear came out of that adventure with some fabulous new pieces (thanks, Poppy, Nana, and Bo!). We also introduced her to some favorites, like Lambert's Cafe ("home of the throwed rolls!") and Tacky Jack's. I think she was slightly overwhelmed at Lambert's, having fun nonetheless. (By the way, Amiee is an okra hoarder at Lambert's. I even snapped a picture for proof.)


"Whoa...what is this place?"

Mmhmm. We're on to you, Amiee.

A little side bonus was running into a former co-worker from Union while we were at the outlets. Fun! Claire drooled all over her, of course. 



On the way back to Huntsville, we stopped in Birmingham to visit with Susu and family (Her real name is Susan...no worries. We've been friends with them forever, so we call her Susu.) It was such a short visit, but I was really happy to introduce Bearsy and Susu, Joshua, and Jonathan!

Ok. That's week one of our southerly adventures. I'll get more pictures uploaded and posted in the next few days. Probably. Hopefully.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...