Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Krafting with Kat

I got behind again. As hard as I try not to let it become a thing, it's a thing. Oi.

Unfortunately, I didn't get too many more pictures with Kat. I shouldn't have gotten so cocky about how well we were doing. Sheesh. We also didn't get out and about too much more, as it was a) super hot and humid and b) Bearsy was on a nap strike while Kat was here. That was a combo that was hard to combat.

So, we worked our way through all 3 seasons of Duck Dynasty (I knew Kat needed to be exposed to the duck men) and worked on a special project for our prize Bear (that's what Amiee calls her...isn't that presh?). I've been wanting a mobile for her since we brought her home from the hospital. She LOVES looking at things: pictures, mirrors, lights, the ceiling, blank walls...I wanted something pretty and exciting for her to look at while falling asleep. I'd seen several that I liked on Pinterest, one in particular. The one I most liked was listed on Etsy for $78.00. Yeah...we don't have that kind of money for a mobile. 

However, Kat is an artist. A legit artist: she's in graduate school getting her Master's of Fine Arts. She's so talented! She's a photographer (like, one with a ridiculously fancy camera with which she works magic), she creates the most amazing graphically-designed invitations and announcements, and her mind is full of ideas. So, I put her in charge of Project: Make Bearsy a Mobile as Cheaply as Possible.

In no time, she analyzed my inspiration mobile and drafted a plan for ours. Like most crafts, the plan morphed a bit over the course of the project, but she designed our plan of attack and sketched out our templates. Meanwhile, I rustled up supplies, which consisted of: my button collections, a stash of t-shirt remnants (I had a lot left over from when I made my mom a t-shirt quilt), fabric swatches from Africa and previous sewing projects, thread, and polyfil stuffing. We worked on it together for two afternoons, and I finished it up after Kat had to go back home. 

Finished project (please excuse the pictures...it's hard to photograph mobiles! And, I had to hang it from the shower curtain rod to get these shots. Try not to judge the state of the grout, please.):






I'm really happy with the end result, and Bear has been riveted when I've shown it to her! Also, Kat and I decided that we're in the wrong business; if we could make these and sell these for half of what some Etsy sellers do, we'd be doing WELL. Anybody need one? We'll make you a good deal, nice lady. (Anyone ever hear that line when shopping tourist venues in foreign countries?)

Thanks, Kat, for working with me on this labor of love. Bearsy LOVES it! Can't wait to get it hung for her.

3 comments:

M & M said...

Love it! If only I had a child young enough to enjoy but not eat it...

Bo* said...

Our Prize Bear is so lucky to have a Kitty Kat!But, aren't we all? I love it!

Kat said...

It turned out so well! I'm glad we could do something for Bearsy while I visited. Just let me know when we have a client base and we can get started ;)

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...