Thursday, June 27, 2013

Letter to my Little Bear

Bearsy,

This week, you hit your four-month-old mark. I guess I'm not too surprised anymore at how fast your life is racing by (and yet, somehow, I still am. Weird.). There are so many things going on in your life that I'm hoping I don't forget any while I write this.



Currently, we're battling, you and I. Why? Oh, because after nearly four months of being a content paci user, you decided that sucking on your fingers is super fun. (Poppy says that this is "oral fixation" and totally normal. Hmph) This is not ok with me or your dad. We decided waaay before you were born that we would be paci people, so that we didn't have to break a finger-sucking habit. We're still determined for that to be the case, but it means that my days are filled with removing your fingers from your mouth and replacing them with a paci. I love you, and you're precious; however, you should know that I don't back down from a fight. (At least, not a fight like this.) I think my persistence is starting to pay off...you've backed off ever so slightly. I'm thankful that you have a good attitude about things. 



You laughed for the very first time this week! You've actually done it 3 times now. We LOVE it! I've heard it in person all three times, but you've only done it over the phone for Daddy so far. It's making him sad, so you might want to try doing it in person for him sometime soon, ok?

During tummy time you're this close to rolling over. I'm proud of you, but I'm not rushing it or anything. Take your time. We don't have to be mobile just yet. 

Also, we discovered this week that you are too social for your own good. You basically refused to nap while Kat was here, because you were SO excited to visit with her. I totally 
get that- I've been enthusiastically friends with her for almost a decade, but Bear. Naps. They are necessary. We were all so very aware of the necessity of naps as you persisted in refusing to take them. I will say, however, that you wake up from your mid-morning nap in THE HAPPIEST mood. I love it!



You're a very helpful baby. You may hate me (when you're older) for writing this, but you love to help when I change your diaper. How? As soon as I open the dirty diaper, you raise you legs/hips/tushy up so that I can wipe you. Such a nice way to help! And, you really like your cloth diapers. So do we. Which is weird for me to admit.

You still love your baths. You are so so so offended when they end. You also still LOVE kicking. As in, you're a taddy bit dangerous when you get going. You're also dangerous to anyone wearing clothes that they like: you are really spit-upsy. It's bad. You and I change clothes multiple times a day...which has led to me allowing you to be way of the wild way more than usual. It's one thousand times easier to clean up that way. There are also a lot of bibs in the hamper at the end of the day.


This picture does not support what I'm about to write... But this is your pouty lip face. It's *almost* a little bit funny. 

We love that you're so smiley and happy. I think smiling is your favorite. That and folding your hands (like you're praying). Speaking of praying, you really enjoy church now. You love to look around and listen to the singing. You don't, however, like how Boston temperatures have been in the 90's and church has no air conditioning. I don't blame you. It's rough.

We go on walks often, and you really like your stroller. Who wouldn't? It's like a Baby Chariot. We also practice using your muscles. We do tummy time, Bumbo time, and standing time. You can actually support your weight really well. That's probably because you're basically all muscle and almost no chub. I'm so serious. You like to play games on the floor, like "flying" on my legs (like, where I lay on my back, bend my knees, and bounce you). You LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'm getting quite the work out from that game. 



Now, please keep in mind that as you get older, your exposure to media will be carefully monitored (in quality and quantity) by your dad and me. But, for now, you get a little bit daily. I tried out Baby Mozart, but alas, it wasn't terribly interesting to you. Surprisingly (and maybe I shouldn't admit this in a public place), you LOVE Duck Dynasty. Like, so much. You are riveted by it. It's really funny to watch you watch them. I chalk it up to connecting with your roots. In other cultural exposures, you and I have been listening to the audio book of Rilla of Ingleside. You seem to like it ok. You're not crazy about the sad parts, but really, who is? Maybe we'll do the rest of the Anne series soon. I fully believe that it's never too early to meet Gilbert.

You're precious and adorable and lovable and joyful. Love you to pieces, Little Bear.

Here are some of your weekly and monthly pictures that I've been taking but not posting (bad, new mom, bad):


12 Weeks


 3 months

13 weeks: Put up your dukes!

14 weeks: I'm a kicker!

15 weeks

16 weeks

4 Months/17 Weeks

2 comments:

Kat said...

Love the pictures of Bearsy! My fav is her on the couch between you, but I also love the first one. I think it's the first time she has looked more like a girl than a baby. She is going to be sooo cute, even more cute than she is now, which is so hard to believe.

bo said...

I love the matryoshka pillow!

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...