Thursday, December 5, 2013

Advent

We traveled over Thanksgiving, heading South to celebrate with my in-laws. It was a great visit with family and friends. Claire was able to meet so many people who have prayed for her and followed her picture updates over the past 9 months (yes, I have a 9 month old...and yes, I am working on a Letter to Her Bearsy Self). We had such smooth travels and so much fabulous food. There is so much for us to give thanks for. Our cups are overflowing.

This past Sunday was December first, which is both the beginning of December, as well as the beginning of Advent. As we are members of a liturgical church, Advent is a HUGE part of the church calendar (much like Lent) and, therefore, our lives. Growing up, my family always made a point to participate in the season of Advent, doing readings, using an Advent wreath some years, and ensuring that Christmas Day started with the climax of the season: reading the passage from Luke about the Advent of our Savior.

 I'm really grateful for that, especially as I now see the concept of Advent taking a mainstream, non-faith-related turn in many sectors of society. There are a bazillion of "Advent" calendar ideas on Pinterest. However, so many of them have absolutely nothing to do with this season of waiting and preparation for Jesus but are actually countdowns to presents. Not that there's anything wrong with such a countdown. I'm most certainly not anti-gifts or counting down until we give and receive. I think I just take issue with the semantics of calling those countdowns "Advent" calendars when they have little to nothing to do with Advent. Advent is so much bigger than that.

This week, one of our readings in neighborhood group (our mid-week church gathering) was from Matthew 24:36-51, a passage I have read countless times in my life. However, meditating on those words of Jesus during the season of Advent, when we are thinking about waiting and preparing, introduced new meaning for me and really challenged me in my thinking. How actively am I waiting and preparing for Jesus? It was very convicting. And exciting. And motivating.

Just like during Lent, our church is posting daily Advent reflections on the church blog. They're all written by church members and offer such interesting and diverse perspectives. If you're interested in following along with us this season, here's the link to CotC's blog. I actually teared up a little while reading today's post. Probably because I had a baby this year and can connect so vividly with her thoughts. If you have a minute or two (seriously, they're really short), give it a read. 

Happy Advent, friends.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...