Friday, January 29, 2016

ColdER? It gets COLD-ER??

When my parents and sister came to visit me for (I think) the second Christmas I was in Ukraine, they brought me a copy of the movie New In Town. It's a gem, if you haven't seen it. I love it because of how much I connected with Renee Zellweger's character when confronted with weather so vastly different from what she could comprehend, as that was my life in Ukraine come wintertime. Here's my favorite scene in the movie. I love it so much. It was so my life. 

The reason I mention it is because my brother-in-law, Tim, matched for his medical residency! 

What? You don't see the connection? 

That's fair. I'll back up. Tim is finishing his final year of medical school at UT Memphis, and, for what feels like forever, has been interviewing for residencies. I don't know how much you know about how matching for residencies works, but it is intense and complicated. It gave me horrible flashbacks to the Ph.D. process. Only I think it might be even worse. We've all been following Tim's saga for a while now. I can't even remember how many places he interviewed at. 15? 20? More than that? I lost count. Although, I would like to take this opportunity to mention that he interviewed at some truly impressive places, like Stanford, Penn, and Johns Hopkins. Yeah, he's a smarty. (Just like his brother. You know, the one getting his Ph.D. at DUKE.)

Anyway, I mention the New In Town clip because, much like Renee, Tim will be moving to Minnesota this summer. HE MATCHED FOR RESIDENCY AT THE MAYO CLINIC! Is that not incredible? He'll be training in Urology for the next several years with some of the top doctors in the world. Now, I'm not going to lie: we were hoping that he'd match somewhere closer (he interviewed at several places in the Southeast, which would have been reasonable drives), because Minnesota is just far. But, seriously: THE MAYO CLINIC. That's pretty top-notch. And, you better believe that I'll be dropping that into casual conversation. "You know, my brother-in-law? The one working at the Mayo clinic?" We've already taught Claire to recognize Minnesota on her map of the US, and she knows that it's where Takia will be living soon (side note: she can now recognize North Carolina, South Carolina, Massachusetts, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Texas, and Minnesota.).

All that to say, we are so proud of Tim and are really excited about the experiences that he's going to have over the next few years! Congratulations!


Super Tim!

Those ridiculously bright Boswell boys.

ALSO: Y'all, remember how I've mentioned Ibotta several times? I use it weekly and have made almost $50 since I started using it last June. WELL. I mentioned in my last post about it that the sign up bonus (after you redeem your first rebate) was $5. Friends, it is currently TEN DOLLARS (and I get $5 for referring you. Everybody is a winner!). You can cash out when you have $20 in your account, so the sign up bonus with my referral code gets you halfway to that point! And you can get rebates on stuff like produce, eggs, milk, and condiments. You should absolutely sign up, download the app, and start earning money back! 

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...