Friday, January 22, 2016

Around here lately: January 2016 edition

It's about time for another round of Stuff That Claire Says. She cracks us up on a daily basis with the things she comes up with, and I just don't want to forget it. So, without further ado:

While we were at my parents' house for Christmas, Amiee wanted a video of Claire reciting Isaiah 9:6, while standing reasonably still, so she gave her a Hersey Kiss. Claire LOVES chocolate, so this was a good bribe. A few days later, Claire was sitting on the pull-out couch with Amiee when she (Claire) found the bag of Kisses shoved down in a crevice. Without preamble, she held the bag out to Amiee and immediately started saying her verse, clearly expecting a chocolate-y reward. She catches on quickly, this girl! A few days later, at the Boswells', she spotted a lone Kiss laying out, pointed to it and started saying her verse to her unsuspecting grandparents. We're going to have to work on the concept that scripture is not to be used solely for candy acquisition.

when asking to wear someone's slippers: "May I wear your footprints?"

as we drove through the Bristol speedway, looking at Christmas lights: "We're on the racer track!"

through the monitor, after being told that someone was coming upstairs to get her: "Mommy, I'm going to wait patientwy.: 

cheering Brad on: "C'mon, Daddy! Go for it!"

at the Boswells', reflecting on the creek while standing in the kitchen: "I can't see the creek because I'm gone."

said any time the concept of a nap is mentioned: "But it's such a good morning!"

when driving back to Durham after Christmas, studying a road atlas in the car: "Mommy, I don't know where we live. Could you show me?"

to our little 19-month-old friend who doesn't yet speak in sentences: "Kari Beth, what you talkin' about?"

to the same little friend who was whimpering about her mommy being gone: "It's ok, Kari Beth. She'll be back in 15 minutes!" (she totally made up an arbitrary amount of time)

when confronted with an idea that she isn't sure about: "Let me think about this..."

when Brad and I were jointly assembling some part of the new entertainment center: "Oooh! Let me help, everybody!"

we're working on the 23rd Psalm: "The Lord is my shepherd, I don't be want."

at breakfast one morning: "I think I have a baby in my tummy. I'm a little bit sick." (it's a little bit telling that she associates feeling sick with having a baby in her tummy...)

One of the songs that I regularly sing to her right before naptime is "Let Me Call You Sweetheart." I used to tap a beat on her back while I sang it, and I guess I stopped sometime along the way. Well, she decided to take matters into her own hands and will tap it out on her stomach while I sing. She is very proud of herself when she does this.

following church nursery pickup, which has been a point of contention for some time: "I was a sweet girl at church!" (this means that she didn't scream or cry long enough for the nursery workers to page us!)

her personalized name for Belle from "Beauty and the Beast": Clairzabelle

laying on the couch, sprawled dramatically: "I'm dying, Daddy, I'm dying."

what she calls the matroshka pillow that Laura Kay made for her: My troska

her explanation to the nursery workers: "Mommy doesn't feel like nice because the baby is kicking her." 

while pressing her hand to my stomach: "Baby, come over here and kick my hand!"

"I heard the baby kick my hand!"

after hearing me count out some measurements in the kitchen: "Good job numbering, Mommy!"

while discussing Saturday breakfast with Brad: "And cows eat pancakes."

Her little mind really does come up with the funniest stuff! I wish I could just record her full time so that I don't miss anything (well, there are some moments that I wouldn't mind missing...like those whine/scream fests that rear up periodically). Looking forward to what she comes up with next!

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...