Friday, March 10, 2017

Lent with Claire: Resurrection Eggs 2017, memory work, and first craft

We did a version of Resurrection Eggs with Claire last year and decided to do them again this year. I made some adjustments that I hope will make it even more effective for us this year. Like last year, rather than just doing the eggs for a couple weeks leading up to Easter, we're going to do them for the entirety of Lent, spending a few days on each egg so that the symbols and meanings will sink in for her. I'm hoping she doesn't get too bored with it. We'll see how it goes and adjust as we need to.

Our Resurrection Eggs. Claire calls them our "Hosanya" eggs. The first egg is a leaf, representing Palm Sunday. We sing a "Hosanna" song when we talk about it, and it's her favorite.

We've also chosen our passage to memorize with her: Psalm 51. It may be too ambitious, but we're going to give it a go. She has an amazing capacity for memory work, so we decided to aim high. First verse is already committed to memory!

Along with scripture memory, we're adding a new hymn to our bedtime routine: "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross." We've been singing it with her for about a week now, so she'll probably start joining in in the next week or so, if she keeps to her usual song-learning pattern. Our choices of scripture and song were pretty carefully considered, so we hope that they work together in a significant way in her little heart.

And...I'm going to try weekly Easter crafts again this year. Claire loves crafts, and I like to reinforce learning opportunities. So we'll give it a go. If you follow me on Pinterest, you've probably seen me pinning away at Easter crafts and activities. My theory is that if I pin a LOT of things, I can narrow it down to a few really good ones. Or maybe I'll just end up cluttering my "Easter" board. Who's to say? I'm not sure this week's was so much a craft as an "activity." We made some Easter-related items out of play-doh and talked about them as we went along. Please note: sculpting is not our thing. 

Her working face.

Our cross


Our cross and lamb. Lamb-ish type creation, rather. Doesn't matter- we talked about Jesus being the Lamb of God. That's the important thing to focus on, guys.

Next week's craft is actually more craft-like, and I'm hoping to add another couple of verses. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...