Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Pretend book club: The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert

Y'all. I am on a roll in the reading department. Again, let's be clear: I am not reading prolifically or anything; I'm finally just reading again. First, I read Lauren Graham's book Talking as Fast as I Can, thanks to Amiee's Christmas present. Then, I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because we had Audible credits (SOOOO GLAD I DID THAT). Next, I started reading The Awakening of Miss Prim, thanks to Mrs. Tidwell. However, a couple chapters in, I had to take a hiatus and read (i.e. listen on Audible) to another book...because a friend of mine offered to introduce me to the author who happens to be her neighbor and friend.

At the beginning of the school year, Women's Bible Study at church also started up, and one of the ladies in my small group (side note: I'm actually a small group leader) led the plenary session on the first day. She did a fantastic job, sharing a few different stories of the power of the Bible in bringing herself and two of her friends to faith. One of the friends she talked about was Rosaria Butterfield. I recognized Rosaria's story immediately, having read an article about her years ago (I think I read it in Christianity Today but don't quote me on that). I chatted with Donna later about her talk and about her friendship with Rosaria, and Donna asked if I'd like to meet her one day. Of course, I would! Important to note: she lives 3 minutes from our house. THREE MINUTES.

A couple of weeks ago, we were finally able to nail down a time to meet, and I realized that, while I knew the basics of her life story, it would be a good idea to read her book, The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: an English Professor's Journey into the Christian Faith. And by "read," obviously, I mean "listen to it on Audible." I started listening to it one afternoon during the girls' naps while I was working in the kitchen, and y'all. I couldn't stop! I burned through that book. It was riveting. Her life story is so interesting + her storytelling is captivating. She is so articulate and pithy. 

Some things that I particularly enjoyed about the book:
1. Her transparency. She shares such personal and difficult parts of her life; things that had to be painful to revisit and recount. Her vulnerability is admirable and makes her very relatable.
2. Her way with words. To say she's articulate is almost not giving her enough credit. Her arguments are so well-reasoned and well-spoken. As a former English professor, she shines in her conveyance of meaning.
3. Her honesty. Rosaria has a way of cutting straight to the heart of an issue or a question, identifying the elements at play, and addressing them in a comprehensive and direct way. She writes about many uncomfortable issues...but things that need to be addressed and examined. It was so thought-provoking to me to really spend some time thinking about issues that she raised about the church and Christians and how we operate (or should be operating).

I loved her story because it is just that: her story. I love stories. It's my favorite type of reading (as opposed to instructional or philosophical or the like), and it's how I file away information. Listening to her recounting her story and sharing things that she learned along the way was encouraging, confrontational, thought-provoking, and fascinating. Overall, I loved her book.

By the time our evening to have dinner together rolled around, Brad (who had also been listening to the book) and I had a long list of questions and topics we wanted to discuss with her, knowing that we only had 2 hours (babysitter/bedtimes/timelines) and that there was no way we'd get to talk about it all. We arrived at her home and immediately fell right in. Two of their children were at home, as well as two house guests, my friend from church and her husband, and later another friend of theirs showed up. Good thing their table sat 10! 

Even with all the people there, she was so gracious to sit next to Brad and me, answering all our questions and providing very insightful commentary on our thoughts and conundrums. I had read this article that she wrote several months ago for The Gospel Coalition and was interested in hearing more of her thoughts; I'd mulled over that article for days after I'd read it, and it was so helpful to talk about it with her. She also talked with Brad about some issues relating to education/academia/college campuses and answered other questions we'd had after listening to her book. I felt like I was sitting in a favorite professor's class and was able to ask any question I wanted without the threat of an exam on the horizon. It was so fun, and I was SO SAD when our time was up. 

BUT THEN she said, "Since we're neighbors, you should come again!" And I think she actually meant it! Now, help me think of a way to make that happen, guys. I have MORE QUESTIONS. Also, she's funny. And spicy. I just enjoyed chatting with her (so did Brad). Another friend of ours from church knows her and her husband and had told Brad (pre-our dinner) that "the Butterfields are the real deal." I can see exactly what he meant: they have an expansive hospitality, a commitment to scripture and living out the Christian life, and are just neat people to spend time with. If I hadn't loved the book before dinner (which I absolutely did), I would have afterward just because of how much I enjoyed our visit.

She describes her life story as an "R-rated testimony," which made me chuckle. It's definitely salty in places and probably makes a lot of readers uncomfortable- both her pre-conversion life and values AS WELL AS her commentary and criticism of Christian culture and her varied experiences with the church. And maybe even her exhortations to Christians on how we need to be thinking and engaging. In spite of (or maybe because of) these things, I wholeheartedly recommend giving it a read (or listen). Then get back to me and tell me your thoughts. 

And your ideas for orchestrating another visit. Because I realllllly want to.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...