Friday, October 26, 2018

We have a Kindergartener. And a dancer.

This is about 6 weeks belated, but y'all. We have a KINDERGARTENER. How did that happen? Oh my goodness. (<--- am I going to be saying this every year until she graduates?)




She could not possibly have been more excited for school to start back. We kept her at the same small school this year where she attended preschool last year. It's still a half-day program, which was exactly what I wanted. When I went for the parents' open-house night before the first day of school, I wasn't quite sure what to think when we all filed into the classroom, and the teacher said, "Is Claire's Mommy here?"

Oh, dear heavens. 

I raised my hand ever-so-tentatively (because that question could have been leading just anywhere, you know?).

"Hi! Ok, I just wanted to let you know that, as of right now, and please remember this can absolutely change...Claire is the only girl in our class."

I kinda laughed a little because OF COURSE this would happen. My very girly-girl would end up in a classroom full of boys and no other girls (there were 8 children total, so don't imagine 1 Claire and 20 boys or anything). But, what can you do?

"There's a little girl who will probably be joining us in November, though! And Claire might really love being in a room of all boys. We had this situation a few years ago, and our little girl had those boys whipped into shape in no time!"

Oh, no doubt that would be Claire's situation. She's FOR SURE a take-charge kind of girl.

Several of the other parents made a point to come and tell me that their little boys adored their gal pals and would be thrilled to befriend Claire. It was very kind. I knew that she would be fine, but I was just really not looking forward to having to tell her. 

I broke the news as carefully as possible, couching it with as many fun ideas as I could, and she handled it pretty well. But it continued to settle in slowly over the next few hours, and we had to discuss it at length. We were still talking about it at bedtime, so I suggested she pray about it and ask the Lord for a friend. Which she did. Very earnestly.

And on the first day of school, I got a text from Claire's teacher that one of Claire's little girlfriends from preschool had registered to be in the class that very morning. I got to tell Claire that her friend would be there- and that God had heard her prayer. To say she was excited would seriously understate the situation. She made up a song about it and sang it for 20 minutes. 

I'm happy to say that she is doing very well, loves everyone in her class, and is having a really great school year so far.

On another note, Claire also started dance lessons this semester! It's not exactly ballet; the class is called "Discovering Movement," and it is so cute. She's loving it! Lily, being too young for the class per the guidelines (though she can actually do the moves she sees the instructor do better than 75% of the actual students), is just beside herself with envy and longing. It's so hard to watch. I didn't realize it would be so hard on her (although I should have realized, let's be honest). I'm hoping to get Lily in some kind of class next year. I don't have a lot of pictures because I usually just take video, but here are a few- clearly well composed- shots of our dancing girl.



Claire's ballet instructor very sweetly lets younger siblings participate at the very end of each class. That's Lily in the pink shirt, a little left of center.


So, this is where we are in life with our firstborn, who, BY THE WAY, was a baby last week. Don't even argue with me about this. 

Proud of you, Bearsy!

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...