Friday, November 2, 2018

Halloween 2018

We finally got to the end of the Month of Halloween. When did October become an entire month of Halloween? There was so much Halloween-ing this year, and y'all, I am the Halloween Grinch. I think it's tacky and yucky. I know it's popular for folks to scorn Valentine's Day as a "greeting card holiday," but I'm here to argue that Halloween has totally suckered society just as much (incidentally, I love Valentine's Day and did long before I ever had a significant other).

ANYWAY. Despite my dislike of Halloween, we did the Halloween things. Thankfully, both big girls wanted to be princesses whose costumes we already had in our dress up bins, and our kids are the only ones who trick-or-treat in our neighborhood, so we didn't even have to buy candy. My frugal heart was very warm. (And our neighbors are super generous; one of our neighbors wasn't home when the girls were going door-to-door, and when we got home later, she had left a little gift bag FULL of good chocolate.)

I did have to buy a few Halloween things, due to being one of the parent sponsors for the Halloween party at school, but thanks to my habit of signing up AS SOON AS THE SIGN-UP LIST IS OUT, I was able to sign up for exactly what I wanted to take.

Lily, Brynna, and I spent about an hour at school with Claire on Halloween morning, cheering on the costume parade and watching Claire perform her role as Dog #1 in the Kindergarten performance of "Room on the Broom." She was fabulous, by the way. I was going to be a parent helper during the party, but my childcare fell through, and the teachers specifically requested no younger siblings, so there was that.


Claire's adorable little class. They are so cute.

This is the shot of when Claire noticed Lily, and they were both so excited to see each other. It was so sweet, and I was thrilled.

Claire really warmed to the whole "parade" concept.

I'm sure you're stunned by her natural parading ability.

Lily and our buddy who came to watch their sisters. 

Waiting for her big performance!

Claire wanted to dress up as Elsa, and Lily wanted to be Rapunzel. I was going to dress Brynna as a bunny, but Lily insisted that Brynna was going to be Pascal. Brad was a sport and played Flynn Rider again. I was a cat, which was very disappointing to Claire. She proceeded to bemoan this fact to our neighbors while collecting her candy, because ELSA DOESN'T HAVE A CAT. 

*insert parental eye roll*





 I dressed Brynnie as a bunny for our morning activities, because I couldn't not do it.

Flynn Rider, Pascal, and Rapunzel.

Please enjoy all of the faces...






While I don't like Halloween, I'm glad I could participate this year. Last year, I was out of commission, thanks to pregnancy, and I very much hate missing anything that brings them such joy during the little years, sentimental though that may sound. We trick-or-treated in our neighborhood and then headed over to a nearby neighborhood to trick-or-treat with a group of friends. It was really a fun evening, and the girls had a blast. 

And they got good candy. Well done, Durham. Well done.


Little friends!

Grown-up friends!

And some FABULOUS shots of Lily, thanks to my friend, Ramonna.

 Seriously...how great is this??

We had great weather and great fun. See ya next year, Halloween!

And a quick recap of previous Halloweens:

2017


2016



2015


2014
If anyone feels compelled to talk to me about how much Claire and Lily have grown, please just don't. I am incapable of handling it. Thank you for understanding.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...