Thursday, August 25, 2011

Life is funny sometimes

Sometimes, when I think about how Brad and I ever ended up married, I just can't believe it ever happened. I also can't refute that it was not coincidental. There are so many factors that pulled our paths together, and if one of them hadn't happened, we wouldn't have even met.

Sounds like the opening to a Nicholas Sparks book or something...

But seriously, here are some facts:
1. I'm older than Brad by 3.5 years/4 school grades.
2. I began homeschooling my junior year of high school.
3. I took a year off before going to college and spent a total of 6 months in Senegal.
4. I applied for the Journeyman program.
5. I prayed that I wouldn't have a boyfriend in college.
6. I left to live in Ukraine for 2 years after Brad and I started dating.

Crazy collection of facts, I know. Seriously, though, ALL of those factors were really important in leading up to our marriage. If I hadn't begun homeschooling and begun spending time with people who did this crazy thing called "taking a year off before college," I would never have even considered postponing the start of college. Thankfully, I did, and I was able to spend an incredible time in Senegal, learning so much about God and service and Senegal (duh). I also met some very dear folks like Kari, Peggy, and the McIntires. I don't regret it for a second and wouldn't have turned into this particular version of Erin had I not spent that time in Africa.

Spending that time in Senegal meant starting college a year after those who graduated high school at the same time as me. If I hadn't, Brad and I wouldn't have overlapped in school at all. There's also a chance I wouldn't have ever become friends with Nathan, who ultimately introduced me to Brad.

If I hadn't applied for Journeyman, I might not have had a "venting-over-the-endless-application-for-Jman" dinner with Nathan. I met Brad at that dinner. Nathan wanted him to sit with us, and I found out about how Brad had pants-ed Nathan the night before. To this day, I still think that's the most out-of-character thing I've ever heard of Brad doing. It's also extremely funny.

If I hadn't asked God to keep me from having a boyfriend in college, I might not have said "yes" when Brad asked me out. Kind of like Gideon, I asked God not to let anyone ask me out in college unless it was someone I was supposed to consider. My fleece, if you will. No one did until that fateful day in December 2007.

If I hadn't left for 2 years in Ukraine mere months after Brad and I had started dating, I wouldn't have been stretched or grown in all the ways that I needed to before we were ready to get married. It seems crazy (and I wouldn't necessarily recommend a long-distance relationship), but it was an incredibly important season of my life.

Who saw any of that coming? It's so funny to look back and see how all of those seemingly unrelated events came together so nicely.

And now we're married. I never have to say goodnight anymore, and I'm always folding his laundry. :)

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...