Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Willkommen in der Schweiz! (Welcome to Switzerland, of course)

We were up early on Tuesday and were off to Germany...via Switzerland! My mom and I talked about how both of us had always wanted to visit Switzerland. Technically, we didn't do much visiting in Switzterland, but we DID get out of the airport, so I count it.

First of all, we are unanimous on the fact that we LOVE Swiss Air. Love it. As in, if it were a person, we'd want to be best friends with it. Every. Single. Person. was extremely nice, helpful, and not in the least bit scary. The breakfast was yummy, and everyone got Swiss chocolate. The only sad part was the my beautiful pink suitcase sustained an injury...sniff.

From the airport, we hopped on a train (that's a bad choice of words, as we actually had to haul two suitcases and two rolling carry-ons with us) and headed off to Basel, Switzerland. I had my camera ready-to roll, you know for all of the picturesque shots of Switzerland I was hoping for. I was disappointed for a while; Zurich was very urban and industrial, including LOTS of graffiti. I consoled myself by taking pictures of things that I thought were funny or weird.

Thankfully, the further we got away from Zurich, the more "Swiss" things began to look. It was really very pretty, and we enjoyed our trek to Basel.

In Basel, we were picked up at the train station by a counselor from Black Forest Academy (Mindy, thought about you!) and started the 20-minute journey to Kandern, Germany. Our time in Germany was so very brief but very full of great moments. I'll fill you in next post.

Shots of the Alps from the plane:

See the dark line along the horizon? Those are peaks of the mountains.

Not clouds! Snow-covered mountain tops. So very Swiss, right?

On the train (one of us is more excited than the other. I'll let you guess which is which.):



Things spotted from the train:

I thought this looked like "Diet I can" (you know, with "can" pronounced as "cahn"). Anyone else entertained by that? Just me? Yeah, I figured.

What do we think this is?

Starting to look a little more Swiss...

There we go!

Next up: Germany!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I'm so happy you got to go to BFA, Basel, Kandern. I'm loving the pictures of Spain and Switzerland. Can't wait to see more!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...