Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Deutschland

I hope that everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving! We did. I'll try to update about that soon. Until then, I'll pick up where we left off with Germany.

Our stay in Germany was the shortest of all of the stops. We were only there for about 36 hours- 13.5 of those hours spent leading seminars and manning a Union table at the college fair. I've always been really interested in Black Forest Academy (BFA); all the older TCK's from when my family lived overseas went to boarding school at BFA, and it was this magical land that I was incredibly intrigued by. I even looked at a position teaching there after college (clearly, I ended up in Ukraine). Tons of great folks, including my lovely friend Mindy, graduated from there. It was so much fun to finally see it in real life. Unfortunately, I have almost no pictures from the school itself. We were extremely busy while we were there, and I kept forgetting to take pictures. I have a couple of pictures from our brief jaunt into the village (Kandern) the night we arrived.

BFA is really a rather large school for its kind. There are about 250 high schoolers from- literally- all over the world. The boarding system is really interesting to me, as there isn't a dorm per se. The students board in houses spread out across several neighboring villages. I can say this with any certainty, but I think that would be a cool living experience. Mindy? Thoughts?

Our evening on the town consisted of a walk into town (it's really compact, so it wasn't very taxing), a few pictures of things that looked "German," the purchase of a post card, and dinner at one of the two actual German restaurants in town (as opposed to the Chinese, Greek, and Turkish spots).

We arrived in Kandern around 4:00ish on Tuesday afternoon and left at 5:00 am on Thursday. REALLY quick trip, y'all. Here's the photo-documentation:


"German-looking" buildings. These were about the only two pictures I was able to snap before the sun went down...

Some kind of awesome sausage. The onions were even awesomer.


We love our food. We took pictures of food everywhere except for Spain. We were too jet-lagged to remember our camera over the paella...

Only picture from BFA. This is good, though, because we were too busy talking about Union to take a moment for pictures. Right? Right. Doesn't Brad's table setup look good?

Sorry that the pictures aren't terribly interesting. We did thoroughly enjoy our 36 hours! We met some great people, some of which we hope to see at Union one day. :)

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...