Friday, April 19, 2013

Marathon week.

I had big plans for blogging this week. It was going to start with a great post about Claire's first Boston Marathon. I'd even thought about starting a "series" of sorts and calling it "Bearsy Does Boston." Or something like that. Big plans, I had.

Then all the horrific things happened, and I just couldn't bring myself to blog about it. I've actually been processing things for most of the week. Clarification for when Future Erin re-reads this: Two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing 3 and injuring over 100.

And then all the craziness of today happened...and is still going on. Clarification for when Future Erin re-reads this: Boston was on lockdown while a manhunt ensued for the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.

It's really hard to wrap my head around things. So, I thought I would go ahead and post what I would have posted had nothing tragic happened. Let's start there, shall we?

Marathon Monday is called Patriots' Day in Massachusetts. And, it's a BIG deal. BIG. DEAL. Boston College, among most of the others, cancels class on Patriots' Day (if only for the fact that getting anywhere is extremely difficult). For my Alabamians, think of the hype and excitement of Iron Bowl days- without the animosity. :) People tailgate (you know, if hanging out on apartment building steps with tiny grills counts) and make signs and cheer and hang out in loud, happy groups. It's a lot of fun. 


I took this picture one block from our apartment. If any of you are familiar with the geography of the Brighton/Allston area (which is probably just my Mom), this is on Chestnut Hill, headed downhill toward Cleveland Circle. This is what the whole route looked like; people lining the trail, cheering and encouraging the runners.


The Marathon is so very much a family event. People were everywhere with their children, grandparents, and pets. 

I loved this sign. It really sums up the feeling of camaraderie and solidarity that everyone feels. I'm no runner, but I can imagine it has to boost the spirit to have people cheering you. Especially around miles 22 and 23. 


I know this picture is out of focus, but do you see that runner in the red shirt? He was pushing another guy in a wheelchair. And he was making time, too


That yellow poster says, "High Five Station," and the gal holding it has a gloved hand outstretched to the runners. Loved it. 


This is where we were hanging out. The runners were definitely looking tired at this point, so it was extra fun to cheer them on. I loved it when someone ran by with his/her name printed on his or her clothing. If I were going to run a race like this, I would totally need to do that. I'd need to hear folks shouting my name. You better believe I yelled really loud for Elissa. I have no idea who she is, but she got cheered on by me.


The runner in the foreground is dressed as a hot dog. 


We saw lots of runners from other countries sporting their flags. Here's a Brit with a balloon tail. Running friends: does that slow you down?


Quite a lot of soldiers marched the marathon. With packs and everything. I was so impressed. I don't know what time they started the race. Really early, I'd guess.


This guy.


My mother-in-law took this picture. We all really love it; it is a good family picture, has great buildings in the background, and has lots of runners. We got back home around 2:00, and she posted it on Facebook.

Unfortunately for our friends, this was at the top of many of their Facebook feeds right as news broke about the explosions. Within minutes of learning of the explosions ourselves, our friend, Nathan, texted to check on us and a Brassart family friend sent me a Facebook message. I decided it would be wise to put up a Facebook status, letting everyone know that we were ok. 

The next few hours were full of watching horrifying events on the news and feeling blessed by all of the friends and family that contacted us to check on our safety. (Incidentally, we were 3 miles from the finish line, which is rather far in Boston neighborhoods.) On a smaller scale, the day had a September 11th feel. It took me a while to figure out why that might be. 

I think what made it so personal and difficult was the fact that we had been out there with fellow spectators, much like the ones at the finish line, enjoying the triumph the runners were experiencing and the family-friendly atmosphere. Children were selling lemonade, for goodness' sake. The runners we watched would have been at the finish line, cooling down and receiving their medals. Maybe even the Elissa that I cheered for...or maybe they were among those who had to be re-routed and couldn't finish the race. Can you imagine? Qualifying for this prestigious race and training for who-knows-how-long only to find that they wouldn't be able to finish? And that many of those who did finish before them were caught in the terror and danger?

It was horrifying and sickening to think of the families at the finish line, enjoying the race one moment and experiencing terror the next. When I thought about the children who were out cheering when the bombs detonated, I had to hug the little bear a bit closer and thank the Lord that we live near mile 23, rather than 26.2. 

The thing that has been such a striking thought is that the day is such a happy, fun, and energetic day. The bombings were made all the worse for it. The weather was even nice (which has been rare these days). 

I don't have an awesome way to end this post. I guess I'm still processing on some level. Sometime, I'll write about our day on lockdown. Wow. 


I would just like to say another heartfelt thank-you to everyone who prayed and thought of us. It was so humbling. So much kindness in the aftermath of so much sadness. Thank you, friends.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...