Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Around here lately: November 2018 edition

We've been busy, etc. of late, and I've gotten behind again. Hopefully, I'll have several posts rolling out over the next few weeks. Please enjoy Claire's colorful commentary from the last month!



I'm sorry that I've chewed on a lot of the bows that look like gum in my life...

Claire is a chew-er. We have some hair clips that are made of a rubber-y material. Apparently, she's chewed on a lot of them. What vitamin is she deficient in?? Somebody find me a pediatrician to ask...

I am an expert at staying up really early at night time.

Staying up late to watch out her window for Brad to come home from one of his many reading groups.

I can remember with my own head.




Labradoll: Labrador

I wanted to see him so hard.

Really wanted to see him.

We hugged ourselves!

Group hug

Good morning! 

Said in the actual morning but also after taking a nap in the afternoon.



The light is making a rainbow fraction!

She had been watching a Magic School Bus episode about light refraction and then noticed my drinking glass was acting as a prism, casting rainbows on the floor.

Come on, guys! We have some people to save from the badness to the goodness!

Pretending something with Lily.

C: Do seahorses have poison?
E: No.
C: WHEW. Well, that's a good report.



I've taught her to clean this bathroom. It might be my greatest achievement.

Mommy, I have to go before Lily at the dentist so I can show her that the pokey thing doesn't hurt and that she doesn't have to be scared!

I told Lily that she would be going to the dentist for the first time after her next birthday. Claire was insistent that she needed to help Lily by going first and making her feel comfortable.

I saw the first part of one (o'clock), but then I went to sleep and I missed the whole thing of two (o'clock). 

Watching the clock off and on during nap. And yes, my five-year-old still takes naps. Not every day; sometimes it's just "rest time," but she definitely takes a couple each week. DON'T TELL HER THIS ISN'T THE NORM FOR ALL FIVE-YEAR-OLDS.

Claire: That thing with the upside down triangles from Ukraine on my wall.
(Extremely confusing conversation ensues)
Erin: Do you mean the pennant banner I made with fabric from Ukraine?

Claire: (exasperated) YES!



Claire: Why do spiders have 8 legs?
Erin: I'm not sure... Maybe to help them walk on their webs.
Claire: That sounds reasonable.

I like darker colors to be boys and lighter, beautiful colors to be girls.

Playing "dolls" with nail polish bottles

Do we have an x-ray? I need one to see how my body works, Mommy.

Robot isn't going to be able to make lunch after all.

Claire had been building a "robot" that she insisted would be able to make our lunch. I told her that I was going to make sandwiches just in case the robot plan didn't work out. She came back with this response a few minutes later.


The robot under construction. Perhaps you can see why I went ahead and made a precautionary lunch?

You need to pack for Thanksgiving. How about you work on it tonight when Daddy gets home, while I keep the girls?

Oh, that Lily. She's so funny. I can't take my eyes off of her.

She was looking at pictures of Lily on the computer over my shoulder.

I've got you, Elphie! Close to my heart.

Said to her stuffed cat as they spun around the living room.

I'm an expert at rainbows.


My pony has to charge a little bit longer...



Pony-charging station

I just had so much fun. And...I just really want a pet. And I wanted to stay there forever...

Some friends of ours kept Claire and Lily while Brad, Brynna, and I went to a meeting. This was Claire's reply when we picked her up and asked how it was. The pet comment was because our friends have a dog who, I strongly suspect, was VERY AGGRESSIVELY loved by Claire and Lily.

Let's take the knife!

Read: take the fork in the road

Holy guacamole the sun is bright!

Seems like you're an expert about snacks!

She's right. I am.



The leafs are done working hard for the tree. Except the ones that are changing colors. Then they will be totally done.

We were just chatting about trees.

Lily: What she doing? (referring to an Instagram video I was watching of @k8_smallthings)
Erin: She's putting on makeup.
Claire: Like a dance makeup! 

This one took me a second, because although Claire takes dance, she doesn't wear makeup for it. I finally figured out she meant a makeup class. We've had several, thanks to hurricanes.




 Ballet-ing

She can't move her own bones. 
Referring to Brynna moving reflexively

Lily: We got our hair cut at the doctor!

Claire: No, Lily. We got it cut at the haircut center!

Erin: Claire, don't draw monsters. It scares Lily.

Claire: But Mommy, I draw what I draw.

Look at the kissing signs! 

Road signs/arrows around curves in mountains

Y'all. It DOES look like some puckered-up lips!

Met a little girl at a playplace.
Nana: What was her name?
Claire: Well, I called her Rachel. I don't know what her name is.

Ellie Holcomb song: "Sing a song to the Lord, let your voice ring!"
Claire: Ring ring ring!

Watching the story of Lazarus on Superbook:
Jesus is going to do something. I just know it!

I don't want to change clothes. I think I look beautiful.




Claire: Mommy, why did you get married in Alabama?

Erin: Because, usually, couples get married in the place the wife is from.
Many minutes and several conversations about lots of other topics ensue. Out of the blue:
Claire: I'm getting married in Boston.
Erin: Ok...why?
Claire: Because that's where I'm FROM!

As my great great great great great great great great unicorn would say...

I don't even know.

The experience (experiment) is going to ERUPT after LUNCH. 

Claire: Mommy! It's TIME.
Erin: For what?
Claire: For decorating of the tree for CHRISTMAS!



Hugging the tree...as you do.



Claire: Which car am I riding in?
Erin: The truck.
Claire: Is the truck where the chocolate is?

On Thanksgiving Day, Mom explained to Claire and our little cousin that we had a relative who came to America on the Mayflower.


Nana: I will write out all the information about our Mayflower relative before Thanksgiving next year.
Claire: I'm going to need that before I go back to school on Monday.

The very best Bible story is about when Jesus died on the Cross.


Rolling seat: wheelchair



A picture she drew of her class. One of the little boys had surgery on his leg a few weeks ago and was out for a while (she drew this picture for him) and then was in a wheelchair after returning to school.

We are approaching the tunnel!

Oh look! I found the manger! That's my favorite part of Christmas.

My nose has come on snot.

My nose has started running.

Native Americans ended while we were gone, and when we got back, penguin day arrived!

Study units at school.


Penguin jammies. She wanted to wear her penguin shirt to school one day while studying penguins but was very concerned about having to tell everyone it was her jammie shirt. It was impossible to understand that she didn't *have* to tell anyone that information. I eventually gave up.

Talking about the daily estimation jar at Kindergarten

Claire: I estimated 95.
Erin: How many were there?
Claire: Um...23?

St. Joe's is a great breakfast place!

Brad and Claire serve breakfast to some of Durham's homeless community at St. Joseph's Episcopal Church on Mondays (our church partners with St. Joe's). We drove past the church after dance, and Claire let us know that it's a great breakfast place.

She covered the stuffie in stickers and then made herself "earrings" with the leftover sticky paper. This girl!

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...