Sunday, October 27, 2019

Boswells on the move. For a little while.

I started this blog post MONTHS ago. Anybody reading this probably knows us well enough in real life to know the details of our life right now. But, for the sake of continuity, I'm going to write this post anyway.

Brad was awarded a very prestigious research fellowship for this fall semester. He is currently a junior fellow at Dumbarton Oaks, a research library in Georgetown. Dumbarton is a research center for scholars specializing in Byzantine, Pre-Columbian, and Garden Landscape Studies. You can peruse the website here. There's also some helpful wiki info here.

When Brad applied for this fellowship, I was not terribly excited about it. It seemed like it would be a lot of work (on my end), which sounds snotty, I know. And when he got it, I was proud of him...but also overwhelmed with the daunting task of moving for four months (2-3 seasons, 2 family/friend weddings, Halloween, Thanksgiving, all of Advent, homeschooling supplies, 2 sizes of clothes for the girls...). I was 60% interested in what living in DC could offer 40% bummed at what the move would entail.

So, when I arrived home from Europe, I immediately set to work packing up for our move (thankfully, my parents stayed for several days to watch the girls so that I could be as efficient as possible). Not gonna lie: packing for DC was a WHOLE THING. Did not enjoy.

Side note: It was extremely helpful for me to chat with Brad's colleagues in Oxford. I knew that the fellowship was an honor, but it wasn't until I chatted with other scholars in Brad's field that I started understanding how impressive it really is. I'm very grateful for that perspective.

We moved up to the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington DC on September 6 and will be here until *right* before Christmas. I'll go ahead and give a spoiler alert: after the stress and hassle of the actual move, I LOVE our life in DC. It's been delightful.

I'm going to have to play major catch-up to cover all of the things we've been able to do since we've been here. We've done a lot of cool things, and we still have two months to go! I'm already sad thinking about moving back. How crazy is that?

I hope you enjoy following along with our DC adventures. We're certainly enjoying having them.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...