Thursday, June 23, 2011

Change of identity

Legally changing your name is a hassle. And a pain. And really time-consuming (as I've already mentioned). Good thing I love Brad, right?

Here's what I've accomplished so far:
1. Social Security*
2. Driver's License**
3. Bank***
4. Union U Human Resources****

Items in progress:
1. Passport*****
2. Credit Union******

What I just realized I need to take care of:
1. New UU I.D.
2. I'm sure there's something/many other things I haven't realized yet.

*The Social Security office is a sad place to hang out. Two women before me were dealing with SS stuff following the deaths of their husbands and another harangued-looking woman (who was the mother of several children) was having to have her card replaced after having it stolen. Yikes!

**The DMV here's-your-ticket-wait-your-turn lady accidentally gave me the wrong number/sent me to the wrong counter and dude behind the counter wasn't too happy about it. However, he gave me my license anyway. I didn't have my glasses on for the first eye test, so I failed it. Oops. I wasn't prepared to take an eye test/didn't realize I needed to put those suckers on. Then, I put my glasses on, fixed it, and passed the test. Unfortunately, I had to surrender my Alabama license...sad...

***I went to the bank to officially change my information. Interestingly, the lady who added me to Brad's account about a month ago totally remember who I was, when we got married, where we went on our honeymoon, and where I worked. She's good.

****I went in to change all of my HR stuff, and she sighed deeply, telling me that she'd send me ALL the forms I needed to fill/ re-fill out. That let all the wind out of my sails. I knew that was going to set me further and further back in my updated-in-the-UU-system process. Good news! I didn't leave immediately (swung back by my office to show Mrs. Tignor and Mrs. Hopper my new driver's license picture- it's pretty good!), and she tracked me down to say that she realized I only had to fill out 3 or 4 things and would I like to take care of it right away? Um, only of course! I got updated in the system and even have my new email address already. Yea!

***** Passport. Got it off in the mail this morning. This makes me really nervous. It's a little reminiscent of this. On two separate occasions whilst living in Ukraine, I had to surrender my passport to the government and lived without it for more than 2 months. When you live overseas, this is enough to give you gray hair.

****** I talked to THE nicest woman at the Credit Union. I haven't completed all the stuff for them yet, but she was so nice.

Since writing the first part of this post, I've also gotten my name changed with AAA. Yea, me! I'm mostly Erin Boswell now. Mostly. Not sure I'll ever completely get there, though.

Thanks so much for all the comments! Somehow, I accidentally deleted the first few posts' worth. I'm sorry! Here's hoping I can improve my blogging skills. Oi...

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...