Sunday, June 19, 2011

Two weeks in: Thoughts on Marriage

1. I still love Brad. Let's establish that right off the bat.

2. I have never really had to share a room, much less a bed. I had my own room growing up, I went to a college where the dorm rooms are like little apartments (everyone has their own bedrooms), and I lived alone in Ukraine (minus when I had Hands-on volunteers or visitors...and they slept in the guest room). So, this whole sharing a room bit is weird. I had to make room for his stuff. I had to de-girlify areas. I had to consolidate my clothes and shoes so that his would fit (that was maybe the least fun part). And, I'm not used to someone else sleeping very near to me. I like my space. Ask Amiee. I'm adjusting. Mostly.

3. There is a lot more laundry. Part of this, I grant you, is due to the fact that I was gone from here for almost 3 weeks and had backed up piles of laundry. And, we got lots of linen-related wedding gifts that need to be washed. But, yeah...lots of laundry.

4. Boys eat a lot. I don't have brothers, so I didn't really grow up with that as a part of life. However, what I consider to be a decent amount of food doesn't really line up with Brad's idea. This leads to more dishwasher running, too.

5. I was watching Gilmore Girls while unpacking things yesterday, and he came in to ask if he could WATCH A BASEBALL GAME. That has never been an interruption I've dealt with. Maybe my dad would ask to check on scores but definitely not to watch a game. (sidenote: unfortunately for Brad, we don't get the station he was looking for...).

6. Legally changing your name is a hassle. It's very time-consuming and annoying. Maybe that's why a lot of women just want to keep their maiden names. I can almost sympathize with that now. Here's what I've accomplished so far: Social Security, Driver's License (I almost cried when I had to give up my Alabama license...), bank info, and Human Resources stuff at Union. Yea, me!

This is just nuts. I like being married, but I'm learning that I had become VERY comfortable in the Erin Way of Doing Things. I guess that's what 8 years of not living at home with the parents or being married will do to you. I never thought of myself as very independent, but looking at myself a little closer, I realize that I am. Yikes.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...