Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sometimes, things just go awry.

I really wish I'd thought to take pictures of the crazy things going on at our house this week (sidenote: I almost wrote "at casa Boswell" because I think sometimes it's a default to write cute-sy things like that. THEN, I realized that writing in Spanish felt a little disloyal to my Ukrainian roots...the only thing is " at Dom Boswell" looks weird.).

Anyway, the weekend was great! My family was here for Union's Family Weekend (and the Z's, too!!). We saw Tangled (you know I LOVE that movie, right?) for movie-on-the-lawn, ate a lot, went to All-Sing (you know, one of those shows at universities where groups get together and perform), and had a grand old time. Even Sunday, The Day When Things Went Awry, started out great. Mom made "Thanksgiving" for lunch, we had birthday cake for Amiee, and the Brassarts (and former Brassart) went to see The Help (again...). Brad had to leave for a few days of traveling to college fairs, but other than that, things were great.

Then, we came home from the movie.

When we walked in the house, a freakish and weird sound was coming from the kitchen. I honestly thought that the garbage disposal had been turned on, but we clearly hadn't left it on. I walked in to the kitchen and started poking around to see what could be making the noise. I quickly realized that there was about 2 inches of water covering the kitchen floor.

What??

For some still unknown reason, a pipe under the sink split apart and water flooded our cabinets and floor. I never run the dishwasher when I'm not home, so I have no idea what happened. It led to our cabinets and counters being ripped out and replaced. One of the men from church is a carpenter, so our landlord gave him a key to the house (with my acknowledgement, of course) in order to get to work in the kitchen.

Like a magic trick, I left Wednesday morning with a kitchen that had all of its parts. I came home to find the entire right side of the kitchen (cabinets, counters, sink) completely gutted. It made doing anything that required water a little unconventional...I put the hall bathroom sink to work. The next day, I left with everything gutted and came home to a fully restored AND upgraded kitchen! Yay!

Everything in the kitchen is back to normal. Whew.

Then the rent check went missing and the closet fell apart...

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...