Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Brad's Observations on Bostonian (student) Fashion

I wish I could get Brad to guest post on this, but 1) he is way too busy writing about people and concepts that are beyond me and 2) he probably wouldn't anyway.

We had been here for a couple of months before I felt well enough to venture out of the house (outside of a few doctor's appointments). I had this one week where I felt fairly decent (and actually thought I'd turned a health corner...ha. Silly me.), and I knew that Brad had been wanting to go do something together. Poor guy...we're in one of the coolest cities in the country, and he hadn't been able to get out and do anything with his built-in friend (that would be me). So, we went up the road to a little Mexican restaurant for dinner (Huntsvillians: it looks and operates like Little Rosie's...but it's, by no means, the same thing. It is fairly decent food, though.). After dinner, we went for a little walk around Boston College, because I still had not been up to campus at that point.

BC is beautiful. Truly. It's a lovely campus and makes you feel as if you would have been a smarter student had you been able to study in that environment. We really enjoyed walking around and just looking. 

Then, I started noticing how not dressy the girls looked. I don't know why, but I just kind of assumed that girls at a super fancy school would dress up a bit more. I mentioned to Brad that I was a little surprised by the sartorial choices. He surprised me by readily agreeing and giving me a run-down of what he had decided was "the outfit" worn by college girls in Boston:

*Black leggings instead of pants (and more than a few of them really shouldn't be wearing skin-tight bottoms.
*Classy mid-calf to knee-height boots. Usually brown.
*Generally a t-shirt.

I stopped and watched the girls who were passing by us. Whoa...Brad was right. 75% of the girls we saw were wearing "the outfit." Who would have thought?

Since then, I've noticed "the outfit" is prevalent at Boston University and Harvard, as well. As it starts to get colder, we keep wondering when "the outfit" will modify to adjust to the temperatures. So far...they've added scarves.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...