Wednesday, December 12, 2012

"OMG! Are you serious??"

Not the words you want to hear from the phlebotomist who has a needle stuck in your arm, right?

I had my glucose test last Friday. I'm one of those pregnant gals who a) still combats fierce nausea daily (despite the fact that I'm third trimester) and b) needs a light snack every hour-and-a-half to two hours in order to help keep the nausea in check (in addition to my anti-nausea medicine). So, having to fast prior to my glucose test was fairly torturous. Brad was a sweetheart and ordered a taxi so that I wouldn't have to ride on the train (Karen, Kat, and Breanne- back me up: that will make you nauseous even if you're not already feeling sick!), and we made sure to get there a few minutes before the lab opened so that we could be first in line. This lab doesn't really take appointments; you just show up, and it's first come, first served. Drat us...we were second in line. Overachievers.

When it was my turn, the lab tech started out by taking my pre-glucose sample, and I thought it was a little much to take four vials. Apparently, her supervisor agreed. This was the conversation that ensued (while the tourniquet was still tightly in place and the needle was in my arm):

Supervisor: "Did you just take four vials?"

Lab tech: "Yeah...was I not supposed to?" (um, that's not comforting...)

Supervisor: "No. She's here for a glucose test. You only need two." pauses...reads vial labels. "And, you used up all of the vials for her whole test."

LT: "OMG! Are you serious??"

Supervisor: "Yeah."

So, there I sat. Taking great comfort from the fact that the lab tech a) did not know what was going on and b) felt the need to have this full, very informal discussion right in front of me. I'm assuming they got everything worked out after that. I drank my gross glucose drink and felt even worse than I already did. We waited for an hour for my second blood test and then waited for another hour for the last one. Brad did homework. I tried to do things on my Kindle...but mostly just felt lousy and pitiful.

During the third blood test, I thought my arm was going to fall off from the pressure of the tourniquet while she thumped all over my arm to find a different vein. I may or may not have had little tiny tears well up because of that tourniquet...

Thankfully, it was finally over and we were able to go home. Even better was that I passed my glucose test, meaning I don't have gestational diabetes AND don't have to do the glucose test again. I'm probably equally happy about those two results. :)

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...