Friday, May 3, 2013

Spring Fling...fling it off the calendar, please!


You're probably going to read this and think that I'm ridiculous. And a super-no-fun person. I've gotten those responses before. 

It's ok. I've come to terms with it myself. 

Here's my- rather unashamed- declaration: Spring is my second least-favorite season.
(Summer is actually my least favorite, as I truly HATE to be hot. Or sweat. I love the beach, but when I can't be at the beach or Harry Potter World, I have very little use for summer. I know...weirdest person ever.)


But back to Spring. Spring is a horrible time of year for me. I'm completely allergic to the outdoors. In fact, this week, I haven't been outside in days. I have had adult interaction, though; we started hosting our church neighborhood group at our house, so no worries about me going crazy (at least not for that reason). For the past two days, I've spent much of my time on the couch, going through tissues like it's my job. (note: I was also taking care of Bearsy and working on my actual job...have I even mentioned that I've had a extremely part-time job for the entire time we've lived here?)

I don't sleep well at night anyway (pre-pregnancy, during pregnancy, or post-pregnancy...so, you know...ever), but the whole not-being-able-to-breathe-and-coughing-nonstop business makes it worse. The flowers and trees are lovely, but the pollen is out of control. I'd been trying to get out and walk quite a bit recently (you know, trying to shed those last few baby pounds; I'm in single digits until I hit pre-pregnancy weight! Woo hoo!), and I really enjoyed looking at all the loveliness.

No more. 

It's slowly killing me, y'all. I grew up in the Tennessee Valley of Alabama, where many a person who never struggled with allergies before moving there suddenly found him-or-herself miserable from the pollen. Then, I lived in West Tennessee, where apparently the same thing happens. When I was student teaching, I lost my voice for an entire week because of allergies. It's almost impossible to teach middle schoolers when you have no voice. Seriously. Try it sometime. In Ukraine, I was out of commission for about a week both years I lived there because of vicious allergy attacks. 

Apparently, Boston is planning to treat me the same way. And this time, I get to do the blowing-my-nose-coughing-like-crazy-not-breathing thing with a baby to care for. At least she's a sweetheart.

So, that rant is to say that Spring is not my thing. 

Oh, but I hope YOU are enjoying the weather. :)

(I'll write an actual post sometime soon...assuming I don't keel over from the allergies.)

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...