Wednesday, August 7, 2013

And then we tried to go home...

Bearsy and I had a great visit to Alabama. I love the South and miss it whilst living in the Northeast (although, I am enjoying my time in the Northeast). However, as much as I love my homeland, I love Brad more, and it came time to return.

For our return flight, we had gotten a direct flight, leaving out of Nashville. Our hope was that the direct flight would cut down on our chances of having issues while traveling, so Daddy used his off day to drive us to Nashville (Grammy came, too!)

Even though I had checked in online the night before, because Claire was traveling in my lap, I had to check in again with her birth certificate in order to get a valid boarding pass. I was a little annoyed by this but made small talk with the agent anyway. Come to find out, he lived in Boston for 11 years, and we swapped tales of living in Boston. As he was finishing up with our boarding pass, he glanced at Daddy and Grammy, leaned toward me, and asked, "Do you want them to go to the gate with you?" 

I was a little stunned and said something clever like, "Um...can they?" He asked for their driver's licenses, did some things on his computer, and printed passes for them. What?? It was awesome. They got to walk all the way to the gate with us and hang out for about half an hour before our flight. 

When it was time for us to board, we said our goodbyes, and Claire and I got settled on the plane. She was in good spirits. I had a bottle ready for take off. She had a fresh diaper (because she'd blown out right as we were getting out of the car in the parking garage. We did a quick diaper and outfit change. Excellent timing, though.). All was well with the world.

Everything was going well until the pilot came on the speakers and announced that we were not clear for takeoff, needed to deplane, and would not be leaving for two more hours.

I knew it. Even with a direct flight, there was no hope for me. 

Just as in my last post about flight issues, this is your warning that the following may not be interesting to everyone (it has to do with yet another feeding and yet another bathroom). 

I needed to feed Claire. But, they had told us not to wander too far away, as the control tower could very well clear us without much notice. Great.

I asked the flight attendant if she thought I had time to go to the bathroom and feed Claire. She said yes, so we headed off in search of a roomy stall. When I walked into the bathroom, I had a moment of panic when I saw a custodian unlocking a bathroom stall. Seriously? Does this happen often? 

I made sure to make a lot of noise and draw attention to myself so that she would be very aware of my presence in the bathroom. I did not want a repeat of the Charlotte incident. So, there I was- sitting on yet another toilet (fully clothed), hopping up every few minutes when the toilet automatically flushed, nursing Claire, and talking on the phone. That last thing was to make sure that Ms. Custodian Lady didn't try any shenanigans. It was not my finest moment (although, it was significantly better than my previous airport experience).

We eventually got on the plane (almost exactly two hours later) and eventually got back to Boston, where Brad met me with flowers and a Nutella shake from Boloco. That's my man, y'all.

Of course, just to round off our travel, Claire wet all over herself and had yet another costume change before we even left the airport. Sheesh.

Someday, I'm sure, I'll have a boring travel scenario. I will love it when that day comes.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...