Wednesday, August 7, 2013

I was so ashamed.

My family is really into Auburn football. We love football season, and we love Auburn. Even during the rocky years. Ask me sometime about how the Brassart Patriarch became an Auburn fan. It's a fun story.

Anyway, the University of Alabama uses houndstooth as its pattern of choice, because Bear Bryant wore it back in the day. Two notes: a) Bear Bryant coached football at Union (my alma mater) in the '50's when UU actually had a football team, and b) Bear Bryant did not own the rights to houndstooth. Nor was he the only person to ever wear it. Ergo, folks other than Alabama fans can appreciate it without pledging loyalty to the University of Alabama. 

Unfortunately, those of us who love both Auburn and houndstooth generally avoid wearing it while in the land of SEC football. It's sad but true. 

With all of that being said, I have a travel wallet made from the Deco Daisy Vera Bradley pattern. It's an awesome wallet (especially for traveling...hence the name). The outside has a red background with black and white daisies, and the inside pattern is black and white houndstooth. I love my wallet, and using it in Massachusetts causes me no trouble whatsoever.

I sort of forgot about the houndstooth while I was in Alabama.

On our way to Chattanooga to visit with our Boswell family, we stopped at the McDonald's in Scottsboro, AL to get sweet tea (obviously). While I was standing in line to pay, I had the horrible realization that I was holding my houndstooth wallet wide open...and a man in an Auburn hat was standing right next to me.

I felt like I had been unfaithful. And gotten caught. I was so ashamed.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wesley had so many things to say about this post. So many funny things. Here are a few: "If you can't beat us, join us." "Alabama is so good that we can stake claim on a pattern and totally own it." "Alabama winners in football. Winners in fashion." And finally, "Coach Bryant at Union??? I think she just made that up." Ha, ha!!!

Of course this is all in good fun. We are Alabama fans, but we are not like those crazy, fanatic fans like the comment might suggest. We pull for Auburn in all games but one. :)

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...