Thursday, August 29, 2013

Letter to my Little Bear

Quick detour from the Cape Cod blogs...

Bear Baby,

Monday, you were 6 months old. I was going to write this the other
day, but well, you were having a cranky day and I got basically nothing accomplished. Right now, though, you're sleeping in your swing and have been having a lovely day. I'm thinking we got the nap situation sorted out. 

Other than the occasional cranky day (and they really are few and far between), you're such an awesome baby. You are happy and cheerful and love people. You will smile at anyone and just love interacting. I've become more and more aware of this recently; you would much rather interact with people than play with toys. Oh- except for your fingers. Those guys are the trump cards of entertainment. You just discovered your fingers about two weeks ago, and you love staring at and talking to them. I've been trying to capture it on my camera and phone every chance I get. It's hilarious. Gran cracked me up at Cape Cod when she would commend you on your good decision to take those fingers with you when we were out and about: you just never knew when you might need to be entertained!




You've been rolling over a little bit more these days, but you're still not terribly interested. That's something I've noticed, too: you can do the things that babies are supposed to do at your age (I've seen you), but you generally don't find too much motivation to do them. For example: you can roll over. You just usually choose not to unless it serves a purpose for you, like getting you off of your tummy. You still hate being on your tummy. A few weeks ago, you accidentally rolled from your back to your tummy, and I watched your thought process play out on your face. Your face said, "Wait a second. I don't like being on my tummy. How did this happen? I must fix this. Stat." And you rolled back onto your back. The same thing goes with reaching for things. If you don't have an immediate interest in something, you won't reach out for it. No matter how hard I try. Your paci is pretty much the only thing you consistently reach for. And, good news, you've figured out how to put it in your mouth (like, 75% of the time you get it right). We love this new skill. Go, Bear!




You've been laughing a lot more recently, and it makes us die a little. We can't handle it. It's just THE cutest thing in the whole world ever and always. We used to think your babbling/cooing was the cutest, but laughing wins. And, when you get started laughing, you usually can't stop yourself for a while. The only sure way to get you to stop is to try and video it. Seriously, I found that you would laugh hysterically while I sang "Hello Dolly" to you (substituting "Bearsy" for "Dolly," of course), but because of your propensity to stop laughing when I video you, I have a gem of a video where you laugh for 3 seconds...and I keep singing the song and end by saying, "Aw, come on, Bear..." Your dad thinks it's funny.

You've also started sitting up some, too. It's definitely a joint effort, me and you. You hold on to my finger, and I make sure you don't whack your head when you topple over.




One of the funniest things was when we offered you rice cereal for the first time. We thought you were going to love it; you'd been watching us eat with rapt attention for weeks, but you basically just rolled it around in your mouth for about ten minutes before it dissolved, I guess. You looked kind of confused but definitely not interested. Bless you.

One of our favorite things that you've been doing is, as Daddy says, crumpling your whole face up when you smile your big smiles. It's SO cute. It's like you don't even know how to smile only halfheartedly. It melts me. 

We love morning time because it means we get to see you again and spend the whole day with you. It's just the best. Because you're the very bestest bear, and we love you SO much!


23 weeks

24 weeks

25 weeks

6 months old

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...