Saturday, December 23, 2017

Our hat trick.

Yep. We're having a baby! Wait...that's not what you were expecting with "hat trick?"

From the middle of September until, well, still ongoing, I've been preeeeetty sick. At this point, that's a pregnancy staple for me, and I've learned to accept it. We're all very excited, though (well, Lily doesn't really understand, but everyone else is excited.). I'm currently 20 weeks, which for me is actually slightly over halfway- this will be my second scheduled c-section (3rd overall)- so they'll do it at 39 weeks. My official due date is May 12th (the day after my birthday!), but the c-section will be scheduled for the week before. So...maybe Cinco de Mayo? Brad knows I'll expect queso in the recovery room should this be the case. He's hoping for May the 4th (be with her...). 

Shall we do a few FAQ's?

Have you been as sick this time as in the past?
Absolutely. It's what I do, guys. So far, I've been struggling with really debilitating migraines (several each week), constant quaking nausea, my fair share of vomiting, and...diabetes (I'll actually write more about this later. It's a whole thing.). Bleh. I'm 3 for 3 in pregnancy-induced, migraine-related trips to the ER for a few hours of fluids and phenergan. I'll have a migraine that makes me start vomiting, which means I can't keep my pain medication down, which means the migraine persists, which means I keep vomiting until I'm extremely dehydrated, which fuels the migraine...and I end up in a cycle I can't break out of. Hopefully, I've gotten it out of the way and won't have to do it again this pregnancy. BUT I have to give a shout out to Kieler, the amazingly talented wizard of a nurse who got my IV started in about 5 seconds with zero trauma to me. I was so dehydrated that I had absolutely no hope that he could get a vein in one go (this was not my first rodeo, y'all. Unfortunately, I know how this goes.), and I was steeling myself for lots of attempts, lots of discomfort, and lots of bruising (all while fighting a raging migraine and nausea). He was MAGICAL, I tell you. I'm going to ask if they'll bring him up from the ER just to start my IV when I have the baby. I'm sure that won't be a problem, right?

If you've been so sick, how have you managed taking care of things/the girls/your life?

Thankfully, we have some really great friends and a particularly fabulous mom and mother-in-law who have bent over backwards to take care of me and the girls (and Brad by extension) many days and weeks this fall. I was all but bedridden for a few stretches of time and fairly useless much of the rest of the time, and our moms kept things going. We are SO GRATEFUL.

Is Claire excited?
Of course. Have you met Claire? Excited is her default.

Are you concerned about Lily as a middle child?
No. Have you met Lily? She'll be just fine.

Are you going to convert your guest room to a kids' bedroom?
No. Please come stay with us in confidence that you will have a bed. In a room without children.

Do you want a boy this time?
Guys, that's such an awkward question. I wanted whatever I got (because, ya know, that part is determined before I even know anything about the baby's existence so I have no control, no say). Happy either way. But, I do want to go on record as saying that I have never felt that I would be cheated by having a third daughter. Of course parenting a boy would be fun and an adventure and so different than parenting girls. But I never want any daughter of mine to feel like they were inferior or weren't wanted (and celebrated) because they're not a boy. Much like Anne Shirley.

And on that note, we found out gender on the 21st, and we're having a...




That's our actual hat trick: 3 girls in a row! We are nothing if not consistent. I think we're pretty lucky to get to raise 3 women to love the Lord, love others, and do good work in this world. 

And no, we have no idea what we'll name her. We couldn't name Lily until we were holding her, so there's no telling if/when this baby will be named. 

2 comments:

M & M said...

Congratulations!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations! I had no idea! Super excited for you guys. We will add you to our prayer list of mommy's who are having babies!

Expecting baby # 3 you might just start seeing a whole bunch of other questions. I can only imagine Claire's reactions to some of those. Ha, ha! Don't be a bit surprised to start hearing some of these...

Are you trying for a boy?

Do you know how that happens?

Don't you own a TV? (Real classy, huh?)

And you are only one child away from hearing these types...

What are trying to do, become the Duggars?

and

Are you trying to get your own TV show?

Personally my favorite question (NOT) was this one: "All these youngins got the same baby daddy?" Yep! Asked right in front of all my youngins!!

Congrats again!
Love,
Jennifer

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...