Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Kat's Annual Visit

I'll be back to write more about Baby No. 3 soon, but I'm still trying to catch up on all the life that happened during this semester (while I was mostly in my bed being sick). So, this is more of what happened during October. Enjoy!

Several years ago (like, 12), someone made a profound comment that I've always loved. We were watching one of the Lord of the Rings movies, and she said, "Everyone needs a friend like Sam." It's such a simple statement but holds much meaning. Sam is an example of the best kind of friend. Always there. Always supportive. Always picking up Frodo's slack. Follows Frodo straight into Mount Doom to get the job done. 

Anyway. Kat is my Sam. 

I hope this isn't a perfect analogy, because that would make me Frodo, and he's just so not my favorite character. Such a troubled little hobbit.

She's never failed to come see me (Ukraine, Jackson, Boston, Durham), and we've been friends through quite a lot of life events at this point. She's BELOVED by my kids, my husband, my sister, and my parents. And she just gets me. 

She came and visited this fall, and we had yet another fun visit. Unfortunately, I was quite sick while she was here, so I didn't get to spend nearly as much time with her as I would have hoped, but we made the most of it, as we could. And, the girls got to spend quite a lot of time with her.

We celebrated Kat's birthday (which we only missed by a couple of days), talked for long stretches about things that probably only interest the two of us, wrangled children, and watched YouTube videos of things we needed to show each other. She also embarked on a journey with the girls that blew their minds a little bit: dinosaur eggs.

She undertook the task of making paper mache "dinosaur eggs" with the girls- BOTH girls. They did the paper mache one night, PAINTED (including Lily) another night, and then, unbeknownst to the girls, after the eggs were dry, she cut them open, sneaked a stuffed dinosaur into each one, and sealed them back up. Then, after a multi-day, dramatic build-up, the eggs "hatched." And the girls were just SO EXCITED. It was a really exciting series of events, and both girls are still VERY TAKEN with their dinosaurs. Lily's sleeps in her crib with her.

Note: all pictures that look good/are in focus were taken by Kat. She's an actual photographer. Although, she did take these fabulous pictures on her phone. I don't know how she does that kind of magic. It's a mystery.


Lily discovered the plunger...I wasn't paying attention, and Kat says, "Hey, so is Lily allowed to play with the plunger?" Um. No. She is not.

She also finally figured out how to climb onto the toilet, lean over, and turn on the water. It had been a goal for a long time. Related: we now have a "Lily Lock" on the bathroom door. Everyone but Lily can get in.

Painting dinosaur eggs.



About to hatch the eggs! Note the fort Kat built with them in the background.





So much love for the dinosaurs.

Deep discussions about the dinosaur situation.

We love you, Kat! Thank you for being the best kind of friend. 

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...