Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Claire's End-of-Preschool (almost at the beginning of Kindergarten...)

I'm just now posting about Claire's end-of-preschool festivities, as we're quickly approaching the beginning of Kindergarten. I'm TRYING, y'all, but a) I have an infant, b) I have a Lily, and c) we've been gone from home for an actual month. Blogging takes a back seat quickly when those are the conditions.

BUT.

I keep this blog so that our memories are recorded, and that keeps me motivated. So, here we go!

Claire wrapped up preschool on May 18, which was 11 days after Brynn was born and was officially my first post-baby outing. Thankfully, Mom was still in town because it was definitely a work out. I was straight-up sweaty by the time we got to the school.


She did her goofy smile, but what can you do?

Her first day of school shot.

This sign greeted us when we walked in her classroom, and my spirit died a little bit.

Stop it, Claire. I can't handle it!

All of the kids got superlatives, and Claire's was "hard worker." Very proud of that! We definitely encourage strong work ethic around here.

Waiting on awards

Our hard worker!



I was so proud of Claire for her growth in friendships and beginning to navigate the complexities of relationships this year. We had conversations throughout the year about how to react when others aren't as thoughtful as we'd like and how to respond kindly even when we don't feel like it and how we truly will not always get our way. All difficult lessons to learn, and she took it all in so well.

With one of her sweet friends.

And another favorite.

She adored her teachers this year.

SO MUCH SUGAR

Lily had a blast, too. There was ice cream, so it was a given she'd be super excited. Also, that's me and 11-day-old Brynn in the background.

Nana took Lily to roam the halls when she proved unable to stay out of the middle of things during awards. She found a friend.




After her class party, Nana took us all out for Mexican food for lunch (Claire's favorite!). We had a great time, and Lily cracked us up "taking orders" oh so seriously.

Taking those orders

Checking to make sure she heard correctly.

And yes...she eats queso with a spoon.

And sometimes she just straight licks it out.

And it brings her great joy.

Brad took a break from work to join us for the party and for lunch!

I struggle quite a bit when I think back over Claire's preschool year. Because of how sick I was during my pregnancy with Brynn, I wasn't as involved as I wanted to be. By a long shot. I had envisioned myself being a room mom, sending really stellar snacks when it was my turn, having play dates with other kids and their moms, forming a strong relationship with the teachers. Those things just didn't happen this year. I was certainly not room mom, I sent snacks (stellar they were not), had nary a play date (although I met some truly wonderful moms while waiting to pick up our kids), and I had only a general acquaintance with Claire's teachers. 70% of the year, just getting myself (and Lily) up to the school to pick Claire up would render me useless for the rest of the day, laying on the couch and dry heaving/fighting a migraine (I'm really good at pregnancy, y'all). I find myself almost grieving a "lost" year of Claire's life. I failed to meet all the expectations I had of myself.

HOWEVER, while my feelings about her preschool year are heavily colored with sadness and wistfulness, Claire's aren't. She had a fantastic time! She made friends, learned so much, had so much fun, and has zero regrets about her year. And she doesn't blame me for anything. She thinks I did just fine, and that's what I'm trying to hold onto.

Claire, you did a wonderful job being an excellent preschooler this year. We are so proud of how much you grew and the lessons that you took to heart. I pray that you'll be a lifelong learner, that you'll always be kind, and that your kindergarten year will be as great as this one was. We love you so much!

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...