Friday, March 22, 2019

Claire turned 6!

Woo boy. 

My first baby turned six last month, and I'm still feeling so torn about it. All the feels, if you will. Or maybe I should say that I'm "in my feelings." Whatever the kids are saying these days. 

With that in mind, here are some of my musings about my Claire Bear:

Dear Claire,

Your entrance into this world six years ago was so very dramatic, but your existence has been nothing short of delightful. You've always had SO MUCH personality, and that has only grown exponentially as you've gotten older. You say the best and funniest things (reader: see the tag "Around here lately" at the bottom of the post), and you're such a wonderful big sister. You love taking care of Brynna, and even though you two fight regularly, you hate being separated from Lily. It's so very sweet and what I've prayed for.


At Chick-Fil-A for birthday breakfast before school

After I took the pictures of you and Lily at CFA, I remembered that I had taken you to that same CFA on your 3rd birthday, after you'd gone with me to an OB appointment while we were expecting Lily. Now you're so tall and Lily is big enough to wear this pink shirt (and we've added Brynnie!). I'm simply amazed at how fast the time is flying.

We're so proud of how diligent and enthusiastic you've been about your school work in Kindergarten this year. You LOVE school! You love your teachers, your friends, the things you're learning...just about anything that has to do with school. You were the first kid in your class to complete ALL of the "Thinkers" and "Super Star" independent learning activities! You worked so hard and were so disciplined. I've also heard from your teacher, as well as other parents what a kind and helpful friend you are, making sure everyone feels included and part of the group. As proud as I am of your academic achievements, I'm most proud of your kindness toward your friends. 

Video chatting with Bo!

You've also been learning so much this year about God. It has been the sweetest thing to watch you make connections between lessons you've been learning at church and at home. We've had wonderful conversations about the Gospel, and we can see you learning truth and hiding it in your heart. For this, we are so grateful.

Being birthday serenaded by your friends at your party in the park.

Pretending to blow out a candle...because I didn't have one for you. I apologized for not having one, and you so cheerfully said, "That's ok! I can pretend!"

Especially sweet is watching you share truth with your friends at school. You remind them regularly that God made them and loves them and that they are part of His story. We're so proud of you for being so willing to share truth so generously.


Enjoying some birthday gifts from Mamaw and Aunt Donna and Uncle JD

You've had lots of new experiences this year, outside of school and church, that have stretched you to grow and learn. Dance has been a wonderful new addition to our routine. You LOVE your teacher and learning new ways to dance. It's a very laid-back, fun dance studio, and that fits your style so well right now. 


Aunt Sue got Twister for you, and you've been loving it!

You and Daddy have been serving breakfast to some of Durham's homeless community on Monday mornings this year at St. Joseph's, and you've made a new friend, Ms. Mickey. The two of you visit and chat and miss each other when one of you can't be there. It's been so neat to watch you form a friendship with a grandmotherly friend from a different walk of life. It has helped your understanding of our world and of relationships with others to expand.


With some of your friends at your party

Some mommies and friends who love you. And Strudel.

As much as it makes me sad to see you leaving the baby/toddler/littlest stage behind (seriously, I tear up about it regularly), I'm just so proud of the slightly bigger girl you are becoming. You're so sweet and sensitive to others, so un-self-conscious and ready to delight in the little things, still so little girl but learning and growing every day. We are delighted with who are and who you are becoming. 

We're unbelievably thankful that you're our Bear.
Love you so much,
Mommy



And just for funsies...you in a post-nap MOOD

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...