Friday, June 7, 2019

Claire closes out Kindergarten!

Claire's year of Kindergarten was absolutely wonderful. She did the half-day Kindergarten program at the same church school where she did preschool. I know many people choose a half-day program for their children when they plan to enroll them in a full-day Kindergarten program the following year. Quite a few of the children in Claire's class were planning to do that. That wasn't our plan; I just felt strongly that Claire would thrive in a small-class, half-day setting. And boy, was I right!

She could not have adored her teachers more, loved her classmates harder, or absorbed any more into her bright little mind. I was so so impressed by her commitment to working hard and loved her eagerness to learn whatever was being taught. She was just the best little Kinder-girl there ever was.

We were gone to Alabama with my family during the next-to-last week of school, but it was extremely important to me that she not miss one second of the last week. I knew it would be enormously important to her to be a part of every last thing. And she just loved every minute. 

(I will not pretend that it didn't break my heart a little to watch my first baby cross this milestone. I cried several times, despite being so excited to see her having the time of her life.)

Several weeks before the last week of school, Claire decided to make a personalized card for each of her friends (there were only 8 children in her class), and she did a wonderfully thoughtful job. Each card was so adorable, and she worked so diligently on them for several days.


Her work station

Her card for her teacher


She drew pictures of each student on their cards, paying special attention to details of their appearance. This particular friend has a faux-hawk, as you can see.

All dressed up for her end-of-year program

My mom had the good sense to stop and pick up flowers. I almost certainly would not have remembered. Lily took her job as flower-toter very seriously.

Matching in pink.

Trying to get cute pictures of everyone all dressed up.

It's a hard thing to do.

Oh, Lily

Brynnie's headband didn't last long.


She's SO FUNNY in pictures. Always.

The BABY can manage to smile for the camera, though.

Look at this sweetie girl!

This is so Claire, and I could not love this picture more.

Her cute, tiny class

She noticed me taking the picture and waved. 

Look at that happy happy smile!

I love this shot.

One of the gifts the kids (moms) presented to the teachers. The kids had worked on it but hadn't seen the final product, so they rushed the teacher to get a look.

It was so sweet, and the kids were so proud of their hard work.

Claire and her beloved teacher.

And Lily, who also loved everything about Claire's Kindergarten year.

I started taking this shot of the girls and the teacher's aide, and Claire's friend automatically jumped in. It was so sweet.

And one after his mom saw him jump in the first one and hustled him away.

They all rushed to sit together to eat their snacks, and it was precious.

And yes: there were only two girls in the class.

With one of her favorite friends.

How did my baby get so tall?

The best family shot we managed. #typical

These sweetie-babies in the school foyer.

Official last day of school!  + Crazy pigtails. 

This blow-up guy changes with the seasons and holidays and is much-beloved by my children.


While Lily was not a student here, she felt quite a proprietary claim on the school, so the end of Kindergarten was also an end of something for Lil.

Parents were invited in to watch the last few minutes of the last day of school. Claire was sobbing, which made me sob, too. We were a mess, guys.

Group hug! Note: the little girl in the foreground isn't one of the students. She's the sister of one of the boys. Don't worry about her being left out.

Claire's hug with her teacher was a little heartbreaking. She loves her so much.

As does Lily.

Claire's class all had the option of completing extra lessons over the course of the year. Claire diligently worked on them and completed them all! These are pictures of kids over the years who've done them- not everyone in her class this year made it onto the board.

And then, when she finished all 50 "Thinkers," she completed the 15 extra "Super Stars!" I'm so proud of how hard she worked and of her initiative.

Claire met and exceeded all of my hopes for her this year. But I'm most pleased by the comments other parents made to me about her: 
"She is the kindest little girl."
"She is such a good friend."
"I always see her helping."
And her teacher said: "Thank you for sharing her with us. She is such a gift."

I couldn't hope for anything better than that. 
Congratulations to my Bear. I couldn't love you more if I tried.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...