Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pinterest.

As vehemently opposed to trends as I am, I did breakdown and get a Pinterest account a few months ago. For those who aren't Pinterest-y, it's a website that allows users (also known as Pinners) to link favorite internet finds (be it clothing, design, decoration, food) to "pinboards." It's a way to save internet ideas that you like or that inspire you and then share them with others. There's a "DIY/Crafts" board that's a personal favorite (note: DIY = Do It Yourself). It got me to thinking: This trend towards doing things ourselves and finding ways to save money seems like our generation's reaction to our slumping economy (a la food stamps and rationing in the 30's and 40's).

My bff, Kat, got me into it, and I need to send a big "thank you" her way. It's provided a source of productive joy in my life. I started pinning fun things immediately, and then I realized that I should probably DO some of the activities I'd pinned. My favorite bloggers over on Young House Love started a little activity they call The Pinterest Challenge (they've done two: here and here), which was also inspiring. Kat and I started sort of doing our own version (we do a Pinterest project, take a picture on our phones, and text it), and I've been loving it! According to Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, though, you must be careful to "pin for good and not for evil." It can grow a little out of control, if you're not careful.

All that to say, I thought I'd show you a few of my completed projects. I'm all about accountability (at least, I like to think that I'm striving to seek accountability). I figure if it's out there for you to see, I'll stay sort of motivated:

Technically, this one wasn't Pinterest-inspired (although I did see this on Pinterest). My mom has been hanging glass, Egyptian ornaments from the chandelier in our dining room for years. It's really beautiful. Thanks to my Aunt, I have my own collection!

I saw these newspaper gift bows and decided I needed to try it. I wrapped all of Brad's gifts in newspaper (we didn't have a lot of manly wrapping paper on hand, and he's down with newspaper) and tried my hand at bows. The first few weren't as awesome, but I think I've got my technique down now.

I like to think this actually looks cooler than person than it's showing up on here...Some friends of ours threw us a Christmas shower last year, and we ended up with lots of fun snowflake ornaments. I found some sparkly ribbon 50% off at Hobby Lobby and used them to dress up the windows. Amiee, feel free to chime in about how much more awesome they look in real life.

Try to ignore the wonky candles. I need to fix it, but I've been too busy working on projects...like our stockings! They nearly killed me, but I finally got them finished. Mine is the green one and Brad's is the red one.

I found a recipe for Brown Sugar-Vanilla sugar scrub and made a few batches to give as gifts. It works really well and tastes pretty good, too (you know...if you accidentally spill some on the counter and need to clean it up.).

I had a lot of fun with this project (since this one, I've actually made 3). I have three little cousins who are all girls, and I saw this tutu on Pinterest. I bought tulle (50% off at Hobby Lobby!) and went to town. I hope they are met with joyous receptions.

I've done a couple other projects that I forgot to take pictures of, like this, this (from here), and a new way to store my plastic grocery bags. I have one or two other projects in the works, but I can't post about them just yet, as a few of you will be receiving them for Christmas.

Apparently, I'm crafty now. Hide the glue guns and seam rippers. Who knows what I'll do with them...

1 comment:

Kat said...

I love all your craftiness, you're a natural! Bring on more challenges.

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...