Monday, May 21, 2012

Pre-Conceptions: True or False


Having grown up and lived most of my life in the deep South, I definitely have pre-conceptions of what life in Boston and Bostonians themselves are like. I've been to Boston once (and had a few of these pre-conceptions confirmed), but I haven't spent any remarkable amount of time in New England. I'm guessing most of my ideas have been formed thanks to movies, tv, books, and hearsay. I'm really interested to see if I'm proven right or wrong. Here are a few pre-conceptions that are whirling around in my mind:

1. Absolutely everyone has a grating and harsh accent.
The one time I was previously in Boston, I had an embarrassing interaction with a cashier at Burger King, wherein I understood nothing he said, and he looked at me like I was an uneducated red neck.

2. People don't smile or chat with folks they don't know.
If that's the case, I got used to it in Ukraine, so I figure I'll re-grow my tough skin and live with it again.

3. The fall foliage is beautiful.
I certainly hope this is true.

4. Everyone eats crab and drinks alcohol in Irish pubs.
I got sick from crab once...I haven't been a fan since.

5. There are fascinating historical sites every time you turn around.
I'm fairly certain this one is at least partially true.

6. Public transportation is a way of life.
Again, it's the Ukrainian way. I can get on board (har har). I just don't like hauling groceries that way.

7. Lots of beans.

8. Crazy excitement during baseball season.
Brad's actually really looking forward to this.

9. People eat organic and recycle a whole lot more than in TN.
I'm almost 100% positive this one is true. I'll definitely like that.

10. Famous people can be spotted.
I have no idea if this is true, but in my head, we'll bump into Matt Damon and Ben Affleck occasionally. I'll keep you posted.

Anyway, it should be fun to find out how accurate (or inaccurate) my pre-conceptions are.*

*Note: I am fully aware that many of my pre-conceptions are written in absolutes, thus ensuring that I will be proven wrong. However, wouldn't we all be disappointed if I didn't hyperbolize??

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...