Sunday, May 5, 2019

My Little Lily turned 3

The spring is full of birthdays for the Boswell ladies. It's both very fun and exciting, as well as hard on me- watching them grow up in RECORD TIME. It really is shocking how quickly it happens.

Lily turned three a couple weeks ago, and she had the best time with all birthday festivities. Claire's birthday at the end of February kicks everything off, birthday-wise, and Lily waits very excitedly for her birthday over the intervening 6 weeks. As much as I'd like to be a good birthday party mom, I'm just really not during this season of our life. We don't have themes, an organized plan, or goody bags. Generally, we have some food, friends, *maybe* an activity, and general running around play time. Under those terms, Lily's party this year was solidly in my sweet spot. 

The weekend leading to her birthday was very rainy and stormy, so my plan to have her party in the same park as we had Claire's was shot. We ended up inviting three families (only two could make it) over to the house for food and a few games. The girls have been really into The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Birthday recently, which includes several classic children's birthday party games, so I tried- very loosely-to model Lily's birthday on that (i.e. they played Twister and Pin-the-car-on-the-racetrack). She had a blast, so I count it a victory!


The food...I had plans to make a cake from scratch, but I couldn't make it happen. I did, however, use my fancy piping bag and tips to put the icing on all fancy-like.

The party started with a rousing game of Don't-Let-The-Balloons-Touch-The-Floor. It's always a winner around here.

Posing with her party snacks

Claire found a lone candle in the silverware drawer!

So, unlike Claire who had to pretend to blow out a candle, Lily actually got to!



The girls have been so fascinated by the games played in the Berenstain Bears book, so we played the Lazy Mom's version of Pin the Tail on the Donkey: Stick the Car on the Race Track. We have this fun sticker book of Cars scenes and characters, so I taped it up and had them play this. They loved it!

Brynnie got herself wrapped up in the cord of this old school phone that we have. My friend, Katie, said that she "got tied up on the phone." Ha!

We had the party the day before her actual birthday, which means that we partied all over again the next morning!

Brad made cinnamon rolls for breakfast


She had a fabulous haul of fun treats and goodies. It was quite a lovely day (couple of days) for her! Thank you to everyone who helped us celebrate our Lily!







Lily Lou,

Happy birthday! What an incredible 3 years we've had with you. It is beyond me how three years have already passed. The day you were born was such a transformative day for me; I had so many anxieties and fears about having a second baby (not the actual baby- but the whole experience of pregnancy and delivery). I was so scared after the craziness of Claire's birth that I couldn't imagine anything less stressful or scary. But your birth was one of the most redemptive experiences of my life. It was so peaceful (for me- I was asleep), and when I came to, I was able to meet you. It was one of the best moments of my life. Even though I was extremely fuzzy-headed, I remember it so clearly. 

Before you were born, Claire regularly said we should name you Joy. Obviously, we didn't, but we could have named you Joy, and it would have been so very apt. You are so joyful, happy, loving, tenderhearted, and kind. You are also spunky, independent, and opinionated. I love listening to you share your thoughts with me or talk to your animals or pretend to read books, making up your own stories. You have the sweetest heart and care so much about everyone and want to be everyone's friend. I often really wish I was more like you.

This past year has been so fun and funny. Your vocabulary has sky rocketed, along with your imagination. You and Claire play together so well (and also argue with the best of them), and she is your best friend. You take care of Brynna (mostly...unless she's trying to touch something you don't want her to) and are obsessed with your stuffed cat, Trumpkin. Trumpkin is like a sixth member of our family these days. You find so much joy in eating foods you enjoy, you love to help me in the kitchen, and you've started doing a few chores, like making your bed and helping unload the dishwasher.

People comment regularly on how cute/sweet/funny/spunky you are. Teachers from church, strangers at the store, our mailman...You have a magical way of connecting with any and every one. I love the way you crawl onto the couch next to me and ask to read a book. Or want me to sing one more song ("Baa Baa Black Sheep" or "You Are My Sunshine") at nap or bedtime. You love to recount stories from your day and talk enthusiastically about things you want to do later. You truly and deeply love your life! And I love watching you do it.

You bring us so much joy, Lily. I never could have imagined before you joined us all that you would bring to our family. Thank you for being you and please never ever stop.

Love you so much,
Mommy

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...