Saturday, April 14, 2012

I've never done this before...

Move to graduate school, that is. I've moved, and I've even moved by myself (you know, to Ukraine); however, I feel that this is different. For one, Brad and I have a lot more stuff together than I did in my 4 trunks (don't get me wrong- we got a lot of stuff into those four trunks, right Mom/Amiee/Mrs. Twila?).

I also knew that there were people in Ukraine waiting to meet me and show me the ropes. I've never done this whole moving-cold-turkey business before. We have a few very (very) loose connections with people in Boston but nothing of any substance so far. The task of finding a place to live seems rather monumental right now, and we've been talking/thinking about it so much that I've found myself dreaming about it (not in a happy daydreaming way...like, when I'm trying to sleep and shut out thoughts of moving but can't way). Oi. That gets old.

My family has moved a few times when I was growing up; we mostly moved around Alabama (if you don't count the time we picked up and moved to the Middle East), but that doesn't count because I was responsible for very little. This time, though, Brad and I are the totally responsible party. Yikes! When did we grow up and earn that title?

We have a fantastic support system, of course, who will (and have already volunteered to) help with packing/planning/moving. It's not like we don't have friends and family. However, it just seems like a very extremely grown-up thing to do.

Is it weird that I'm far more nervous about moving to Boston with my other half than I was about moving halfway around the world by myself? I think it is.

Things I've been pondering about this move:

1. Where will we live?
I feel like we're playing MASH (anyone remember that game??): house? shack? apartment?

2. Where will we go to church?
I can't even really talk about leaving Christ Community right now. It's almost my very favorite part of living in Jackson.

3. What kind of job will I get?
I LOVE my job here and never want to leave it.

4. Who will be our friends?
We don't have any friends in Boston. Will people like us and want to adopt us into their friend circles?

I think about these things every day. I realize that this time next year, I'll probably roll my eyes at myself for having these thoughts, but they're very real right now.

I think I'll just stay here, thankyouverymuch.

(ok not really...)

1 comment:

Jaclyn.... said...

I have full confidence that God will guide you in this new chapter!

check out this church.
http://hopefellowshipchurch.org/#/home

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...