Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Ukraine

At the time that I'm writing this, Ukraine has been defending her people and territory against Russia's invasion for over 6 months. At the time we went to Disney, it had been about a week. I was exceedingly torn over going to Disney when so much horror was happening in one of my former homes and to my friends. I spent a very fraught week leading up to our Disney trip, staying in near constant contact with Ukrainian friends, tracking the news relentlessly, and just not sleeping very much. 

The girls were very aware of my state of grief and anger and distraction. A few days into it, I came downstairs and found they had left me this at my seat at the table:

These are two envelopes in Ukrainian flag colors. They both say "Money for Ukraine."

I opened the envelopes and found that they had emptied their piggy banks into these envelopes, wanting me to use it to help my friends.

Whew. It was hard to hold it together when staring at their generosity for people and a place that I love. Claire also told me that she wanted to have a bake sale to raise money, so, on a whim, I posted on Instagram that she wanted to do that to raise money. Within a few days, we had over $1,000 Venmoed. Within a couple months, they had raised over $5,000 (many people waived the baked goods and just sent funds).

Found this sign taped to the front door

Signs like this began appearing around the house, too.


Before long, we had an entire wall full of signs.

I didn't fill the girls in on all of the horrors that were happening in Ukraine and to Ukrainians, but I also didn't shy away from explaining the basics. I found that this helped them to pray very specifically. We also talked quite a few times about how we weren't going to vilify all Russians, as there were very brave Russians willing to protest the war, knowing that it would jeopardize their own well-being. Lots and lots of conversations were had about many aspects of this war, and they've really developed quite an awareness and sensitivity.

Ukrainian and Amerikrainian friends gave us several embroidered Ukrainian shirts when Claire was little bitty, and they fit Brynnie currently. She loves to wear them. 

They girls find "Ukrainian flags" everywhere. This is a bath fizzy.

See also: they find sunflowers. 
Sunflowers are everywhere in Ukraine and are a national symbol.

It's been so much longer than we'd hoped, and we've been following horrible stories along the way. Thanks to technology, I'm in contact with Ukrainian friends weekly. Thanks to all of the generous gifts by friends and family, we've been able to send funds for all kinds of things: paying hospital bills, buying laptops for men on the frontlines, helping to pay rent for displaced friends, buying medicines, purchasing spring and summer clothes for friends who evacuated with only a backpack, helping with funds for a friend of a friend to get out of Mariupol, sending aid directly into Bucha and Irpin...and on a few occasions, buying pizza and ice cream for traumatized hearts who could benefit from a small treat. There's so much we can't do, but I'm thankful for the things we can do. And I'm so very thankful for children who care so much.

Who knows how long we'll be praying for the war to end? We'll keep doing it and sending what we can as we can. Please pray with us for the protection and restoration of Ukraine.

Lord, in your mercy...Hear our prayer.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...