Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I am thankful for the South.

I hope that Thanksgiving was wonderful for everyone. Brad and I spent it in Alabama, and I could not have been happier. Sorry for not updating in over a week; it's not that the internet doesn't work in Alabama- I was just too absorbed in being home to spend time with the internet. 

Thanksgiving Day was super. Mom really outdid herself with all the cooking- for about 20 people, no less. We ate. so. much. It's a little embarrassing, really. You haven't lived until you've tried my mom's squash casserole. Not even kidding.

In addition to the great family time (before poor Amiee succumbed to a nasty virus that had her holed up in her room), Mom and Dad treated us to so much of what I miss about Alabama. Note: it was mostly food-related. Barbeque with hushpuppies. Real Mexican. Milo's sweet tea. Chick-Fil-A breakfast. We also did fun Huntsville things like Bridgestreet (um, no, we did not go on Black Friday. We waited until Saturday.). We put up one of the Christmas trees (that's right- Brassarts have two. What? It's more fun that way.) and watched two of our traditional Christmas movies while snacking on sausage balls and chili with grilled cheese sandwiches. We would have done more on the movie front, but it didn't seem right to do it without Amiee. We watched quite a few Hallmark Christmas movies while eating copious amounts of leftover turkey, dressing, and my Auntie's cheese ball. Good grief...Brad and I put the hurt on that dip.

Because I'm still pretty incapable of doing mornings (yeah, I know...I'm just into my third trimester and still have morning sickness. I like to go all-out, what can I say?), we didn't make it to church at Whitesburg. Sad face. (psst- we'll be back for a few days in both December and January.).

It was very sad to leave. Oh! But, I did have find myself a little disappointed with my beloved Southerners. On the way to Huntsville, the TSA agents in Boston noticed my pregnant-ness and, rather than having me walk through the radiation-laden scanner or having a thorough pat-down, ushered me through the metal detector. And, they pointed me to the nearest rocking chair, in case I was tired. In Huntsville, I was put in the position of having to ask for an "alternative screening method." This definitely required a THOROUGH pat-down (after being read and shown a disclaimer about how invasive it would be- would I still like one? Really, TSA? I'm not protesting scanners; there just haven't been long-term studies in whether or not it will give my baby two heads.)...IN FRONT OF THE FULL GLASS WALL. That did not make me happy.

Despite that hiccup, we are back in Boston after a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration, and Brad is nose-to-the-grindstone for the next couple of weeks. Good thing he's so smart.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...